Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Engine crash bars

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

damien.wrl
100Club
100Club

Engine crash bars

#1 PostAuthor: damien.wrl » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:27 pm

Never been a fan but as the baby gets older I am considering a bit of protection for the old girl ... Anyone got some fitted? What styles?

r3sc
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

Re: Engine crash bars

#2 PostAuthor: r3sc » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:15 pm

I have a set on my A1. I’ve always had the engine protection bars on it. In fact, when I got the bike, the set on it now we’re damaged and one of the brackets was broken so I bought a brand new set of the Tarrozzi bars while I repaired the originals and had them re chromed.
The main difference between the two is that the older, original pair are 100% tubular but the Tarrozzi items use simple pressed hollow sections welded between the round tubes.
Sorry but I don’t know the make of the originals but whichever you choose, they will offer some protection to your cases if the worst happens.
Attachments
B8E90AB1-F9DD-4F15-AF5F-30B23941598C.jpeg

z1bman
Hardcore
Hardcore

#3 PostAuthor: z1bman » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:26 pm

the original crash bars where made by rickman

damien.wrl
100Club
100Club

#4 PostAuthor: damien.wrl » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:54 pm

r3sc wrote:I have a set on my A1. I’ve always had the engine protection bars on it. In fact, when I got the bike, the set on it now we’re damaged and one of the brackets was broken so I bought a brand new set of the Tarrozzi bars while I repaired the originals and had them re chromed.
The main difference between the two is that the older, original pair are 100% tubular but the Tarrozzi items use simple pressed hollow sections welded between the round tubes.
Sorry but I don’t know the make of the originals but whichever you choose, they will offer some protection to your cases if the worst happens.

That looks like the T shape tarozzi guards? Quite unobtrusive .I too have an A1

r3sc
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#5 PostAuthor: r3sc » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:49 pm

Hi,
No, they’re not the Tarrozzi items. I do have a set of those which I bought to use while I repaired and re chromed the originals.

The ones on the bike as shown are very old and are similar in design to the Tarrozzi ones but are tubular all over and the welding is much nicer.

I like the look of the original ones and at some point I will move the Tarrozzi bars on as I no longer need them.

8 Valve Mark
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#6 PostAuthor: 8 Valve Mark » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:38 am

r3sc, your a1 looks stunning! the alloy wheels raise a question though? no criticism btw. did it come like that? cheers m

r3sc
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#7 PostAuthor: r3sc » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:10 am

Hi Mark,
Thanks for that, I do love the A1 for sure.

I actually have three sets of wheels for it.

When I got it it was wearing a set of really odd looking grey 5 spokes which I think are magnesium as they are very light but I didn’t like the look of them so I sourced the really nice set of all original Kawasaki alloys shown in the photo from a guy in Germany. These wheels are on their original finish and haven’t been painted or abused!

My other set of wheels are spoked. I recently found a mint set of hubs, and the chrome spoke ring on the rear is like new and I have two Takasago front rims and one rear which are currently at the chrome platers as the rear had some battery acid staining.

I’ve been looking for years to find a good set of rims with the correct date codes but all the ones I found were badly corroded so the rims I have are somewhat early for my bike (6G) but they will look great until I find the correct coded items.

My plan for winter 2020 is a complete strip down to clean the engine thoroughly, ultrasonically clean and rebuild the carbs and maybe even powder coat the frame, depending on what it looks like with the engine out.

I have the pattern exhaust on order through the group buy, I have the correct and un butchered switchgear to fit but just need to find a set of original bars.

All this to try and take it up one level as it’s definitely a keeper.

Cheers.

r3sc
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#8 PostAuthor: r3sc » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:33 am

Hi Mark,
These are the wheels that came with the bike, any ideas what they are?
FC29F8C0-613E-405C-9975-F1D1595E4025.jpeg
97DBD7DB-16DA-452A-9090-7DF0055DD2D6.jpeg

Bill P
Hardcore
Hardcore

#9 PostAuthor: Bill P » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:24 pm

There nice r3sc are they for sale :)

r3sc
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#10 PostAuthor: r3sc » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:47 pm

Hi,

I don’t even know what they are. They just have ITALY cast into them with a series of numbers.

I do think they might have been a period accessory back in the day when it was fashion to junk your standard wires for something cast!

I’ve not thought about selling them to be honest but if I do, you’ll be the first man I’ll contact, especially as you’re a local Derbyshire lad!

Cheers.

Bill P
Hardcore
Hardcore

#11 PostAuthor: Bill P » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:13 pm

cheers :)

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#12 PostAuthor: Pigford » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:26 pm

If they're off summink laike a 70's Moto Guzzi or Morini, they could be rather heavy? Just saying as I had some once :!:
And on the 7th day... Zeds were created!

Tonto
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#13 PostAuthor: Tonto » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:52 pm

Think they look a set of Campagnolo wheels, used to fit them to Ducati and Guzzi sports models in the 70's.
My mate is doing a Guzzi project and considered a replica set from Marvic, until he checked out the price: seriously expensive :shock:
http://www.twowheelclassics.co.uk/catal ... s.html#a27
"Better to remain silent and be thought an idiot, than to open your mouth and remove any doubt" - Abraham Lincoln
Z900A4 / Hodna CBXZ / Ducati Diavel / H1F 500 Mongrel / CBXZ Project / RD400 project

r3sc
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#14 PostAuthor: r3sc » Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:01 pm

Cheers Guys,

I once talked to a guy who said that they could be worth a few bob, especially to buyers in Japan as apparently they do like original period accessories.

They do look sand cast as the finish is quite rough but it’s difficult to determine exactly who made them. They are drilled and machined for a perfect fit for the A1 so who knows.

Next time I’m in the shed I’ll get them out and weigh them.

Many Thanks.

8 Valve Mark
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#15 PostAuthor: 8 Valve Mark » Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:11 pm

hi pete, i think the wheels might be RONAL mag alloys, can't be sure though, i had very similar ronal wheels on my old 900ss bevel. I've got an excellent 7b front rim that could help your quest.. m

Return to “Bike Help”