Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Refurbished crank problems

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

pluto
100Club
100Club

Refurbished crank problems

#1 PostAuthor: pluto » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:50 am

Had my crank refurrbished recently, new everything plus balance and weld. Done by a reputable engineer. Built the bottom end back up, all good. Turned it over to pop on the pistons only to find No4 conrod small end is too tight. It's not the gudgeon pin as I swapped this with other rods and no issues. The pin goes in about 10mm but is too tight to push through by hand, it fits tight like a bearing fit and at 15mm in stops spinning. As it's the weekend I have not yet been able to speak to the engineer but anyone have any ideas? Could it be honed in situ or am I looking at another case split and start again? Needless to say I am not very happy!
Thanks
Dave

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: Refurbished crank problems

#2 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:57 am

Yes! it can be honed in situ.
Is this new rods too or just bearings etc.

pluto
100Club
100Club

#3 PostAuthor: pluto » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:00 pm

New Rods by the look of it. What honing tool do I use? So far smallest ball type hone I have located on the internet is 20mm - is that too big for my 17mm small ends.
Thanks for your help

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

#4 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:09 pm

Don't use a ball hone, you want a small 17mm brake cylinder hone.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1x-Brake-Cyl ... SwCH9eF6aH
For what it costs I would take it to an engineering shop/engine re-conditioners if you are not familiar with using a hone.
Before you do though , if a gudgeon pin will press through without too much force I would do a few passes with a spare pin to see if that eases it out.
It's possible the little end eye has had a knock and is slightly oval.
I've had a few like that over the years and pressing a pin through has sorted it out with no other issues.

pluto
100Club
100Club

#5 PostAuthor: pluto » Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:44 pm

Yes good advice thank you. its well out of my comfort zone, theres a few places round here I can try.
Thanks again
Dave

pluto
100Club
100Club

#6 PostAuthor: pluto » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:42 pm

Spoke to crank company today, they recomended honing too but suggested i made my own tool out of 1/2in ally tube with a slot cut in it to allow some 120 grit wet and dry to be wound round to the diameter of the gudgeon pin then inserted into the small end and spun up good and fast on my drill while moving it back and forward a few times! Promised me I couldnt go wrong and if i did they would put a new rod on. Somewhat nervously I did as instructed, checking the pin fit after each few passes and I am pleased to say it now fits the same as the rest of them and the build can continue. Thank goodness!

ADRIAN H
Hardcore
Hardcore

#7 PostAuthor: ADRIAN H » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:10 pm

pluto wrote:Spoke to crank company today, they recomended honing too but suggested i made my own tool out of 1/2in ally tube with a slot cut in it to allow some 120 grit wet and dry to be wound round to the diameter of the gudgeon pin then inserted into the small end and spun up good and fast on my drill while moving it back and forward a few times! Promised me I couldnt go wrong and if i did they would put a new rod on. Somewhat nervously I did as instructed, checking the pin fit after each few passes and I am pleased to say it now fits the same as the rest of them and the build can continue. Thank goodness!

Result - Pleased for you.
adrianhorsfield@live.co.uk
Sunny Bournemouth. Dorset. UK.

Throckley Lad
new poster

#8 PostAuthor: Throckley Lad » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:20 am

Pluto,

Would you mind letting me know who did the work on your crank please?

Many thanks.

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#9 PostAuthor: Pigford » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:05 am

Great news that you fixed it yourself :up

My ex-father-in-law has an early (1960’s) Lotus 7 which runs an 1100 side valve motor. Years ago he had to replace the big-ends so he dropped the sump and hand lapped the new white metal bearings with the engine in place! Ahhhh, the “Good Old Days”.
And on the 7th day... Zeds were created!

Return to “Bike Help”