Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Various engine parts enquiry...

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

TiBolts
100Club
100Club

Various engine parts enquiry...

#1 PostAuthor: TiBolts » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:59 am

Hi all

In the process of stripping my Zed 1000-A1 engine - bought the bike in bits but motor complete, so haven't heard it run. Found broken front cam chain tensioner guide in the sump, and have a couple of bits to sort on the crankcases, so stripping it down. Just managed (eventually!) to get the barrels off. Sure enough, the tensioner parts are shot to bits. Rest of the internals look OK so far, but I haven't got as far as checking ring end gaps and suchlike yet. So, questions on parts and availability:
The tensioner parts are eye-wateringly expensive :eek . Zed Power's kit is normally over 700 quid but they have it on offer for 550 at the moment. Cybike's is £430 (although this doesn't include the idler shafts). Any opinions as to which is best/differences? (I have emailed Zed Power, waiting for reply).
Also, gaskets - what's available? Which is the best pattern set?
Valve stem oil seals - I assume Viton ones are better than original. Are these available?

Sorry lots of questions! Looking forward to the benefit of all the knowledge out there :)

Cheers
:mrgreen: 2006 Bonneville T100 (lightly customised) and Z1000-A1 (nearly finished!!!)

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: Various engine parts enquiry...

#2 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:13 pm

Go for the solid Liska type idler wheels etc you will never have to touch them again.
Front slipper and roller under the barrels will have to be OEM or pattern equivalent.
Idler shafts shouldn't need replacing unless yours are missing or rusty and then they can be bought separate from ZPower etc.
I always use Cometic gaskets and either APE stem seals or Viton and you can get either from Ebay, Nick at Suzuki performance spares or Debbens etc.
Most aftermarket "performance" parts are generally a better, stronger and cheaper option than OEM .

TiBolts
100Club
100Club

#3 PostAuthor: TiBolts » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:50 pm

Cool, thanks for this.
Yes the idler shafts look OK, you can see the polish marks but I can't feel a ridge or anything.
:mrgreen: 2006 Bonneville T100 (lightly customised) and Z1000-A1 (nearly finished!!!)

chrisu

#4 PostAuthor: chrisu » Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:36 pm

What Rob said.

needaz1100r
ZedHead
ZedHead

#5 PostAuthor: needaz1100r » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:52 pm

TiBolts wrote:Hi all

In the process of stripping my Zed 1000-A1 engine - bought the bike in bits but motor complete, so haven't heard it run. Found broken front cam chain tensioner guide in the sump, and have a couple of bits to sort on the crankcases, so stripping it down. Just managed (eventually!) to get the barrels off. Sure enough, the tensioner parts are shot to bits. Rest of the internals look OK so far, but I haven't got as far as checking ring end gaps and suchlike yet. So, questions on parts and availability:
The tensioner parts are eye-wateringly expensive :eek . Zed Power's kit is normally over 700 quid but they have it on offer for 550 at the moment. Cybike's is £430 (although this doesn't include the idler shafts). Any opinions as to which is best/differences? (I have emailed Zed Power, waiting for reply).
Valve stem oil seals - I assume Viton ones are better than original. Are these available?

Sorry lots of questions! Looking forward to the benefit of all the knowledge out there :)

Cheers

2 other things to check are the alternator rotor, the aluminium casting comes loose on the centre taper boss and the clutch shock absorber springs, both of those things cause the engine to make noises it shouldn't although usually don't cause any more damage.

The clutch can only be got to by removing the bottom crankcase half, so best to get it done now if it needs it.
Cheers,

Mark.

needaz1100r
ZedHead
ZedHead

#6 PostAuthor: needaz1100r » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:59 pm

needaz1100r wrote:
TiBolts wrote:Hi all

Cheers

2 other things to check are the alternator rotor, the aluminium casting comes loose on the centre taper boss and the clutch shock absorber springs, both of those things cause the engine to make noises it shouldn't although usually don't cause any more damage.

The clutch can only be got to by removing the bottom crankcase half, so best to get it done now if it needs it.

And change the cam chain.
Cheers,

Mark.

TiBolts
100Club
100Club

#7 PostAuthor: TiBolts » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:01 pm

Thanks guys. Yes, I'm doing a full strip because there's a broken off bolt in the lower crankcase, and one of the bosses that holds the starter motor down (M6 bolt) is broken off and needs welding.
Also, back in the day (mid 80's) I helped a mate put a new clutch bearing in his - which you can only do by splitting the cases - and my own Zed (actually a Harris Magnum II Z1000) broke an output shaft bearing on the Isle of Man back in '87... which is also a crankcase split.
Fortunately I worked for a Kawa dealer at the time and we were racing a proddy GPX750, so I rode that around for a bit and came home on that, and my Zed came home in the van.
So I will be checking all of the bottom end bearings and gears etc very carefully.
As I said, the engine is an unknown as I bought it from someone who inherited it, so I got no info on the state of the bike before it was taken apart. So it's getting new cam chain, all new tensioner parts, valve stem seals etc and possibly rings or a rebore.
The rotor and starter clutch do appear to be OK though.
:)

Return to “Bike Help”