Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

KZ1000 carb questions

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

1340fxd
100Club
100Club

KZ1000 carb questions

#1 PostAuthor: 1340fxd » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:33 pm

Just taken the carbs off my 1978 KZ1000 A2 for a clean and service kit and have three questions:
1. The 4 pilot screws do not have a "limiter" - is that a problem?

2. There are what look like vent pipes on three of the carbs. The left number 1 carb has no vent pipe, the second and fourth carbs have vent pipes with rubber hoses and carb 3 has a vent pipe that is blanked off. Is that how things should be?

3. I intend to kit K&N RC-2454 filters to make removing / replacing the carbs easier and hopefully to get a nice sound (as I recall from 40 years ago). However, what do I do with the gearbox breather that pipes into the air-box as standard?

Help very much appreciated please... :blush
Attachments
Vents.JPG
Vents.JPG (74.46 KiB) Viewed 1563 times
Pilot Screws.JPG
Pilot Screws.JPG (67.23 KiB) Viewed 1563 times
Dear Santa, please can I have...

8 Valve Mark
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

Re: KZ1000 carb questions

#2 PostAuthor: 8 Valve Mark » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:15 pm

no problem with the limiters being missing, just a ploy to hide them from American owners as far as I've ever understood them. the spigots on carbs 2+4 are overflows (1 for 1+2,1 for 3+4) the one on carb 3 is a vacuum take-off for a vacuum tap n should be blanked if one isn't fitted. speak to Rob z1015 if you are changing from the air box to pod filters. he makes and supplies the air correction jets required for smooth running, for the engine vent you can add a length of suitable hose (high as possible about 12-15") with a mini k/n type filter cable-tied to the frame rails.or?: keep it standard, your ears are probably not as good as they were! :lol:

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

#3 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:11 pm

All the info in the above post answers all your questions..
The mixture screws were pre-set slightly lean on the US models due to emissions and fitted with anti tamper caps..
If you run pods you need air corrector jets to prevent the off idle flat spot around 2000k rpms which as mentioned I can supply at a discount for forum members.

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#4 PostAuthor: Philippe » Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:32 am

Hi
the tubes on number 2 and 4 carb are vent tubes, not overflow. They admit air to come out of the float chambers so don't blank them off!
GrtZ
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

Bill P
Hardcore
Hardcore

#5 PostAuthor: Bill P » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:07 am

I put a length of pipe on the vent tubes up towards airbox and z900 one has two nice little clips for them next
to lid i seem to remember :)

Return to “Bike Help”