Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Latest Drama - Tyres Not Seating Properly??!!

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

bulldogbobby
100Club
100Club

Latest Drama - Tyres Not Seating Properly??!!

#1 PostAuthor: bulldogbobby » Thu May 14, 2020 9:28 am

Okay, so four years later and I'm on the home straight with the Z1R but this is the latest drama!

I've painted and polished the wheels and after checking various threads to make sure that I can use tubeless tyres with tubes on '78 cast wheels (not tubeless rims), I've fitted BT45's with tubes. The problem I have now is that both tyres are not sitting centrally on the wheels??!! (The tyres I took off were continental tubeless with tubes fitted)
Pretty difficult to see from the pics but the raised line on the tyres are fine on one side of each wheel but disappear under the rim on the other side??!! (On the back tyre - where it says 'Bridgestone' and on the front where it says 'Battlax BT45') :angry

I've tried deflating them and 'bouncing' the wheels on the tyres while turning them with various tyre pressures but still can't seem to get them any better?
Also, the bead locks/rim locks on the rear tyre are undone at the moment - I'm assuming I tighten these once everything is centralised/sorted?
Any thoughts or help by those more knowledgeable in this area would be greatly appreciated!!

Front Tyre Not Seated - View From Side 3.jpg

Front Tyre Not Seated - View From Top.jpg

Rear Tyre Not Seated - View From Side.jpg

Rear Tyre Not Seated - View From Top 2.jpg

Rear Tyre Not Seated - View From Top 3.jpg
Let The Good Times Roll...........

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

Re: Latest Drama - Tyres Not Seating Properly??!!

#2 PostAuthor: Pigford » Thu May 14, 2020 9:34 am

Lube (buy some proper tyre soap) and high pressure inflation - take up to 50psi if have to!

Rim is probably corroded & gripping tyre shoulder - emery cloth it smooth!

Good luck
And on the 7th day... Zeds were created!

CAT3
100Club
100Club

#3 PostAuthor: CAT3 » Thu May 14, 2020 10:19 am

Exactly as Pigford says, you need proper tyre lube on the beads. Don't be tempted to use washing up liquid, (it has salt in).

I've even taken tyres up to around 60p.s.i. before now to get them to seat correctly.
The rear wheel/tyre has the added complication of the bead lockers, which always try to clamp the tyre to the rim as you inflate the tyre. Again the tyre lube will greatly assist getting the tyre to seat correctly as will a quick inflation.

warren3200gt
Hardcore
Hardcore

#4 PostAuthor: warren3200gt » Thu May 14, 2020 10:36 am

As the other guys have said, use lube and lots of it. Make sure your rim grips are very loose and a decent amount of psi. I used to work as a fitter during school hols and particularly stubborn ones got a whack or 2 with a rubber mallet by where they were where sticking, that always got them to seat. :mad
PUM 488 June 2023
76 Z900A4, 77 Z650B1, 77 KZ650B1, 77 Z1000A1, 82 Z1000J2, ZRX1100R.

bulldogbobby
100Club
100Club

#5 PostAuthor: bulldogbobby » Thu May 14, 2020 10:52 am

Thanks for the suggestions all - every day's a school day and I'm glad this isn't a one-off!
I've ordered some more tyre paste and will give it another go when I get it. Lube and pressure it is - I'll let you know how it goes! :D :up

zapo
100Club
100Club

#6 PostAuthor: zapo » Thu May 14, 2020 11:50 am

If you find the need to over inflate the tyres, stand the wheel/tyre up (like in your first picture) and stand over it so that you are not facing the sidewalls ........ in the unlikely event that the pressure bursts the tyre is will blow out a sidewall and you don't want your face in the way.
Like I say, it's unlikely with decent lub but better safe than sorry.

TiBolts
100Club
100Club

#7 PostAuthor: TiBolts » Thu May 14, 2020 12:07 pm

Worth getting your face out of the way, definitely, or just wearing safety specs 'cos when the tyre suddenly seats with the pressure it can spit the lube right in your eyes!
:mrgreen: 2006 Bonneville T100 (lightly customised) and Z1000-A1 (nearly finished!!!)

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#8 PostAuthor: Pigford » Thu May 14, 2020 12:38 pm

bulldogbobby wrote:Thanks for the suggestions all - every day's a school day and I'm glad this isn't a one-off!
I've ordered some more tyre paste and will give it another go when I get it. Lube and pressure it is - I'll let you know how it goes! :D :up

I'll keep an eye out for any major "mishap's" on tonights 10 o'clock News :rock

bulldogbobby
100Club
100Club

#9 PostAuthor: bulldogbobby » Thu May 14, 2020 12:43 pm

Cheers all - I'll give it a go tomorrow when I get the lube, what's the worst that can happen...………. :D :D :D :D

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#10 PostAuthor: Pigford » Thu May 14, 2020 1:06 pm

bulldogbobby wrote:Cheers all - I'll give it a go tomorrow when I get the lube, what's the worst that can happen...………. :D :D :D :D

:boom

bulldogbobby
100Club
100Club

#11 PostAuthor: bulldogbobby » Thu May 14, 2020 3:12 pm

Pigford wrote:
bulldogbobby wrote:Cheers all - I'll give it a go tomorrow when I get the lube, what's the worst that can happen...………. :D :D :D :D

:boom

:D :D

CAT3
100Club
100Club

#12 PostAuthor: CAT3 » Thu May 14, 2020 5:25 pm

I did expect the "health & safety brigade" to chirp in & my initial thoughts when they did were, "here we go".
But in fairness they are wise words. As an example & I know this is not exactly the same, but when I worked at Manchester airport a visiting German engineer received very serious injuries after inflating a tyre that exploded when he was kneeling down by the side of it. Had he been stood over it his injuries might well have been either none or far less. The tyre pressures we are talking about here are around the 80 p.s.i. mark so a lot more than a mere bike tyre, but 50 - 60 p.s.i. can wreak some serious damage given the correct circumstances.
Does this post mean I'm part of the "health & safety brigade" ! :D

bulldogbobby
100Club
100Club

#13 PostAuthor: bulldogbobby » Thu May 14, 2020 6:14 pm

CAT3 wrote:I did expect the "health & safety brigade" to chirp in & my initial thoughts when they did were, "here we go".
But in fairness they are wise words. As an example & I know this is not exactly the same, but when I worked at Manchester airport a visiting German engineer received very serious injuries after inflating a tyre that exploded when he was kneeling down by the side of it. Had he been stood over it his injuries might well have been either none or far less. The tyre pressures we are talking about here are around the 80 p.s.i. mark so a lot more than a mere bike tyre, but 50 - 60 p.s.i. can wreak some serious damage given the correct circumstances.

Not at all mate - joking aside, I've seen the videos of tyres going and I'll make sure I'm not in the way of mine if by some remote chance, the tubes do the same (even though I'm sticking to less than 50psi)
Thanks for the input though - much appreciated :up :up

zapo
100Club
100Club

#14 PostAuthor: zapo » Fri May 15, 2020 9:00 am

CAT3 wrote:I did expect the "health & safety brigade" to chirp in & my initial thoughts when they did were, "here we go".

Wise words indeed, that's why I wrote them. My mate was blinded in one eye while tyre fitting.
He's dead now but memory lives on.

bulldogbobby
100Club
100Club

#15 PostAuthor: bulldogbobby » Fri May 15, 2020 1:13 pm

zapo wrote:

Wise words indeed, that's why I wrote them. My mate was blinded in one eye while tyre fitting.
He's dead now but memory lives on.

:up :up

Return to “Bike Help”