Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Petcock/Fuel tap

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

Shoz
Regular Poster

Petcock/Fuel tap

#1 PostAuthor: Shoz » Fri May 22, 2020 6:54 pm

Advice please Zed Heads....
I replaced my original petcock 3 years ago due to it being so tight that it couldn't be switched to reserve by hand while moving. I replaced it with a non OEM part from Z Power. After a year or so, the replacement started leaking. Replaced the o seals last year and all was fine, laid the bike up in November. Fast forward to now, fuel leaking from the tap when in the "On" position only (OK in OFF and RESERVE positions).
So, Do I: a) replace all O seals again, b) replace the petcock with another from Z power(although out of stock presently), or c) do I pay 3 times as much and install a Pingel? - anyone experienced similar problem with these petcocks?

compo z1r
ZedHead
ZedHead

Re: Petcock/Fuel tap

#2 PostAuthor: compo z1r » Sat May 23, 2020 8:02 am

Alan is it for the z1r and is it a genuine tap ? If so genuine seals from kwak are available I can send u a link only thing is postage is more than seals ok ?
THE ORIGINAL TARMAC TERRORIST

Z1000S !! Z1R Z810 [ project ] FZR 1000 RU KTM SXF 250 / 08 R6 and my dog zak.???

Z1OC # 886 till 2026

kawasaki_man
100Club
100Club

#3 PostAuthor: kawasaki_man » Sat May 23, 2020 8:05 am

Hi, that sounds like a very familiar story. I bought a replacement petcock a while ago and yes it was leaking like a sieve when turned on a few weeks ago. It looks like it had been leaking previously when used since there were marks on the K&N filters from the petrol. I located the problem to the seal in the strainer bowl and in fact the original seal as fitted was not correct (too large). I bought a seal kit from Zpower last week and fitted the new seal in the strainer bowl and no leaking at all. Very happy. (£8 for the seal kit or bottom seal only £3)

kawasaki_man
100Club
100Club

#4 PostAuthor: kawasaki_man » Sat May 23, 2020 8:15 am

here is a picture of the offending petcock and the poor strainer bowl seal alongside a new seal from Z-Power.
petcock.jpg

petcock_strainer seal.jpg

Shoz
Regular Poster

#5 PostAuthor: Shoz » Sat May 23, 2020 5:23 pm

compo z1r wrote:Alan is it for the z1r and is it a genuine tap ? If so genuine seals from kwak are available I can send u a link only thing is postage is more than seals ok ?

Yes, it's for Z1R, the original oem tap is the one that was too stiff to operate, the current one is from Zpower and is not oem.
I'm wondering whether to replace the second one now, and if so whether to go for the same again (£45) or spend £150 on a Pingel which looks nothing like the original kwak one..... but is it less likely to leak after a year or two?

Shoz
Regular Poster

#6 PostAuthor: Shoz » Sat May 23, 2020 5:26 pm

kawasaki_man wrote:Hi, that sounds like a very familiar story. I bought a replacement petcock a while ago and yes it was leaking like a sieve when turned on a few weeks ago. It looks like it had been leaking previously when used since there were marks on the K&N filters from the petrol. I located the problem to the seal in the strainer bowl and in fact the original seal as fitted was not correct (too large). I bought a seal kit from Zpower last week and fitted the new seal in the strainer bowl and no leaking at all. Very happy. (£8 for the seal kit or bottom seal only £3)

Mine is not the same as the one pictured, (no strainer bowl), leak only in ON position, and is OK in RES and OFF positions....

bulldogbobby
100Club
100Club

#7 PostAuthor: bulldogbobby » Sat May 23, 2020 5:49 pm

Got EXACTLY the same problem with my (original) Z1R fuel tap. I've stripped it previously, cleaned it and replaced the O-Ring. The bloody thing is even worse this year and almost impossible to operate although I seem to remember an issue with the O-Ring size when I ordered a replacement.
I've also been told that the tapered plastic barrel expands over time and can be 'machined down' but I'm not too sure about that?
I've just ordered a 'Tourmax fuel tap repair kit' from Velofox/Ebay (part no FCK-8) and will strip the tap down again and double check the O-Ring size - I'd rather keep the original but if I can't sort it, I'm probably going to go the Pingel route. (just wanted to make sure they have a reserve position but apparently they do)
Let The Good Times Roll...........

Shoz
Regular Poster

#8 PostAuthor: Shoz » Thu May 28, 2020 2:05 pm

So, after messing about with the pattern fuel tap/seals with no success, decided to get new fuel tap.
Out of stock at Z power, so have ordered a Pingel......

Kev1R
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#9 PostAuthor: Kev1R » Sat May 30, 2020 10:07 am

I remember an issue with this from a few years ago.
As per the 1st post - Mine was not leaking - just very difficult to change position.
One of the problems with the Z1R fuel tap is the lever is so small - there is little leverage to play with which can make it difficult to operate.
I took it apart and gave the working innards (the cone bit) a very light smear of grease
It has been ok since.
I seem to remember someone else advised this move, so you may find a historical thread on this subject.
Not sure if it makes any difference - I used marine grade grade grease.

compo z1r
ZedHead
ZedHead

#10 PostAuthor: compo z1r » Sat May 30, 2020 11:00 am

Kev1R wrote:I remember an issue with this from a few years ago.
As per the 1st post - Mine was not leaking - just very difficult to change position.
One of the problems with the Z1R fuel tap is the lever is so small - there is little leverage to play with which can make it difficult to operate.
I took it apart and gave the working innards (the cone bit) a very light smear of grease
It has been ok since.
I seem to remember someone else advised this move, so you may find a historical thread on this subject.
Not sure if it makes any difference - I used marine grade grade grease.

vastly kev it means its unaffected by salt water also being into jetski's use this product as well !!! shxt hot gear !!!

s-l1600 lube.jpg
THE ORIGINAL TARMAC TERRORIST

Z1000S !! Z1R Z810 [ project ] FZR 1000 RU KTM SXF 250 / 08 R6 and my dog zak.???

Z1OC # 886 till 2026

wilsonsjw11
Hardcore
Hardcore

#11 PostAuthor: wilsonsjw11 » Sun May 31, 2020 8:36 am

Apply red rubber grease to the seals when rebuilding fuel taps.It will ease operation and preserve the seals life especially on a Z1 item.
Regards
Steve

Return to “Bike Help”