Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

How hot is too hot? Liqui moly, zx1 advice please!

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

bobajob
Regular Poster

How hot is too hot? Liqui moly, zx1 advice please!

#1 PostAuthor: bobajob » Fri May 29, 2020 1:57 pm

Laymans question time gain! Firstly - a big thank you to all the help and advice recently, I put a new dyna s ignition in and bike the bike seems to be running great, best it has ever ran to be honest well enough to try a ride out and get her MOT'd. But one thing concerned me, the clutch cover seemed almost hot enough to fry an egg on a journey less than 10 miles, which I've no recollection it ever getting that hot before, and noticed the oil in the sight glass didn't look quite right either-like a film building up on the inside and slight foam, The engine has had fresh oil and filter, but prior to that had not even turned over for ten years. The guy in the Mot place said looks like it could be moisture mixing in with the oil from years of being static. Probably or something more sinister? I plan to flush the engine with liqui moly, put fresh oil and filter in again, but also considering using that Zx1 extra lube friction reducer with the fresh oil afterwards! What are the opinions on liqui moly and ZX1 (which isn't cheap), good or not worthwhile using? Lastly, just the simple pleasure of being able to add a photo of the bike breathing fresh air for the first time after 10 years under a cover, which felt fantastic and one of the very few good thing that came out of being furloughed, cheers Mike
Attachments
IMG_20200526_120236.jpg

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

Re: How hot is too hot? Liqui moly, zx1 advice please!

#2 PostAuthor: Pigford » Fri May 29, 2020 2:40 pm

They can get friggin' hot in summer!
I cooked the oil in my old Zed a few years back doing lots of slow riding at a bike event down in Poole - it smelled like an old steam engine :roll:

Don't add any shite to the oil - just use bike specific (suitable for wet clutches) oil, semi-synth (not full).

I'd drain oil out & drop sump to check oil pump screen is clean!!!

An oil cooler is a good option too.
And on the 7th day... Zeds were created!

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

#3 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Fri May 29, 2020 5:22 pm

As Mark says.
Most likely condensation.
Don't use any additives.. Waste of time, not needed and may possibly cause clutch slip if you are unlucky.
If you feel it needs a flush out due to the lay-up then just drain the oil when hot and replace with fresh 10/40 semi .
I wouldn't bother with liqui moly or anything else.

ADRIAN H
Hardcore
Hardcore

#4 PostAuthor: ADRIAN H » Sat May 30, 2020 8:27 pm

zed1015 wrote:As Mark says.
Most likely condensation.
Don't use any additives.. Waste of time, not needed and may possibly cause clutch slip if you are unlucky.
If you feel it needs a flush out due to the lay-up then just drain the oil when hot and replace with fresh 10/40 semi .
I wouldn't bother with liqui moly or anything else.

+ 1, the best advice above
adrianhorsfield@live.co.uk
Sunny Bournemouth. Dorset. UK.

Return to “Bike Help”