Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Z1100ELR rear brake issue

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

dave cullen
Hardcore
Hardcore

Z1100ELR rear brake issue

#1 PostAuthor: dave cullen » Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:41 pm

Hi looking for thoughts on this one, last year my ELR rear master cylinder started leaking, the rebuild kit is apparently NLA, but general concensus was the GPZ 1100 one was identical, and having got a Tourmax kit, my local bike shop rebuilt it.

Never really ran the bike after that apart from one day when the rear brake appeared to be binding on and getting very hot, so it was back into shop today for a caliper strip, when they seem to think the issue is still the master cylinder and is there any other kits available other than Tourmax to have a try with that?

I'm kind of flummoxed here, so looking for advice please?

Thanks

Dave
Z900A4 Z1000A1 Z1100R

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

Re: Z1100ELR rear brake issue

#2 PostAuthor: Pigford » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:08 pm

Binding brakes is often due to a bot of air in system, or more likely, the seals are sticking a bit and not allowing the pistons (and therefore pads) to retract enough from the disc after application.
And on the 7th day... Zeds were created!

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#3 PostAuthor: Philippe » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:26 pm

Hi Dave
see to it that the rear brake pedal has enough play and that the rear master cylinder can return freely. If the rear master cylinder can't return to its resting point the pressure in the rear master cylinder can't escape and the brake pads continue to push on the disc.
GrtZ
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

dave cullen
Hardcore
Hardcore

#4 PostAuthor: dave cullen » Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:08 pm

thanks guys, I am beginning to wonder if there is confusion about the part, I have been looking under repair kit, it is listed as a "piston assembly" on some sites which seems more correct and I think I may be getting closer to finding it.

What I need is a nice clear parts diagram for the Z1100R and the Z1000J as I am told it is definitely the same part used on these bikes in particular but I can't read the part number!

This is a picture of the original one which was apparently faulty, beginning to wonder now

Dave
Attachments
SAM_2916.JPG
Z900A4 Z1000A1 Z1100R

Al
Hardcore
Hardcore

#5 PostAuthor: Al » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:20 pm

USA J1 1981

https://www.cmsnl.com/kawasaki-kz1000j1 ... 62031.html

J1.png

1100R1

https://www.cmsnl.com/kawasaki-z1100r1- ... t/14E.html

1100R1.png

My rear brake on the J1 jams on frequently because of the anti-rattle sleeve on the rear sliding pin. Despite having replaced it with several genuine K ones and used; green grease, black, yellow, red rubber grease and vaseline and nothing at all it still swells up and buggers it. Dumbfounded and have gun drilled the sliding pin and the rear of the caliper and no change!!!!!

AL
1981 J1

dave cullen
Hardcore
Hardcore

#6 PostAuthor: dave cullen » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:51 pm

Al

Thanks for the lovely clear diagram and to 8 valve mark for the offer , I will post an update , but looks like I am not alone with this

Dave
Z900A4 Z1000A1 Z1100R

dave cullen
Hardcore
Hardcore

#7 PostAuthor: dave cullen » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:49 pm

Philippe wrote:Hi Dave
see to it that the rear brake pedal has enough play and that the rear master cylinder can return freely. If the rear master cylinder can't return to its resting point the pressure in the rear master cylinder can't escape and the brake pads continue to push on the disc.
GrtZ
Philippe

Got down to the bike shop today and had a proper chat with the owner who was pleased to find I still had the original piston as he was unhappy about the quality of the pattern kit originally, but hoped it would bed in, I just never got round to using the bike last year due to holiday job.

So the pads apparently wont push back properly for reason you suggested Philippe?

He is convinced he can get a toolmaker friend to machine one, and refit the seals and take it from there, so happy to see how that goes.

The OEM part it still a source of uncertainty with the best option being part no 43020-1019 but no certainty it will be the same, very very frustrating trying to get to bottom of all this, thanks for all replies in meantime.

Dave
Z900A4 Z1000A1 Z1100R

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#8 PostAuthor: Philippe » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:06 pm

Hi Dave
I hope you get it sorted! It's only a matter of giving the brake pedal enough play, screwing the push rod down . If the brake pedal sits too low or too high you have to adjust the pedal by taking it off the pivot shaft and put it one teeth higher or lower.
It could be that the caliper piston is dirty and sticks to the rubber seal inside the caliper. Simple things you know, it's no rocket science!
Good luck!
GrtZ
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

dave cullen
Hardcore
Hardcore

#9 PostAuthor: dave cullen » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:16 pm

Thanks Philippe,

I have faith in my mechanic, he did his apprenticeship on this sort of stuff, but has just re-opened and is very busy, he is a perfectionist, he will sort it.

This bike is just a bit frustrating, it looks so great, but I may have to find someone over winter who will go over it with a fine tooth comb and get the running sorted out, I think I should have bought Mikuni flat slides before refurbing carbs, but hadn't banked on huge import charges which I had dodged before.

Perhaps the engine may have to get stripped eventually and set up from scratch, any volunteers, please don't hesitate to offer!!

Dave

Dave
Z900A4 Z1000A1 Z1100R

dave cullen
Hardcore
Hardcore

#10 PostAuthor: dave cullen » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:31 pm

So today,

I got my bike back, the guy I use has finally satisfied himself that the problem is the master cylinder body is corroding away, and that the seal kits are not addressing the issue, but he has cleaned it all up using original piston and it is all freed off, with no leaks.

Given that it is a 35 year old bike, I can see his point, and BTW I was charged £46 for his time and trouble for a caliper rebuild, all new copper washers, clean as a whistle.

I have sent Oz at Z-parts ltd a piston supplied by 8 valve mark which he may be able to replicate for future rebuilds, I just need to get the low speed fouling issue sorted, thanks for all help

Dave
Z900A4 Z1000A1 Z1100R

tlc
Hardcore
Hardcore

#11 PostAuthor: tlc » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:03 am

Hi Dave, hope all is well with you other than bike woes.
I had a low speed fouling issue which was traced to spark plugs. I mistakenly used the wrong grade and was advised to visit my local motor factors for replacements to avoid the dreaded counterfeit NGK plugs from eBay.
Al (Zorded) will tell you all about the standard carbs which should only ever be cleaned in an ultrasonic bath. There are so many blind drilling’s in the carbs it is easy to get some foreign body in there. I wonder if the chokes are shutting off properly or there is a blockage in the pilot circuit. This happens quite easily apparently?
Asphalt Cowboy Z1100R, 1981 Z1000J

dave cullen
Hardcore
Hardcore

#12 PostAuthor: dave cullen » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:11 am

Hi Chris,

Good to hear from you, hope you and yours all well in this crazy situation, yea the rich running is a pain, the bike runs perfectly when you are giving it a handful, but just hates pottering about and won't pull cleanly from low revs.

I've got the right BR8ES plugs in, there was a school of thought that resistor plugs didn't mix with resistor plug caps, but I haven't been able to find non resistor caps and the ELR has different caps for the outside and middle cylinders which is awkward.

The really annoying thing is the carbs were fully rebuilt ones from Wired George in the states who I have bought sets from before so I was expecting the problem to disappear, I really wish now I had bought a set of flatslides!

I will have to think about getting it sorted properly once the country opens up a bit, just finding someone to do it up here isn't easy.

Dave
Z900A4 Z1000A1 Z1100R

tlc
Hardcore
Hardcore

#13 PostAuthor: tlc » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:58 am

Dave, I forgot to say that my issue was diagnosed on a dyno. They can check the fuelling at all revs.
Asphalt Cowboy Z1100R, 1981 Z1000J

Return to “Bike Help”