Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Z1000 A1 - Cylinder damper rubbers

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.
David32knyte
Regular Poster

Z1000 A1 - Cylinder damper rubbers

#1 PostAuthor: David32knyte » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:00 pm

Dear Forum

A few of the round tapered blank grommets / damper rubbers fell out the bottom of my barrels when cleaning them for re fitting.

Are these items that need to be replaced or can I reuse them?
TBH I'm not even sure exactly what they do.

Thanks
David

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: Z1000 A1 - Cylinder damper rubbers

#2 PostAuthor: Philippe » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:53 pm

Hi David

I never paid much attention to those rubbers. I don't know what their use is. It's said they would dampen vibrations...
I leave them in as long as they're in, if they fall out because they shrunk I leave them out.
If anyone knows why they're in I allso would like to know their purpose.
GrtZ
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

David32knyte
Regular Poster

#3 PostAuthor: David32knyte » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:35 am

[quote="Philippe"]Hi David

I never paid much attention to those rubbers. I don't know what their use is. It's said they would dampen vibrations...
I leave them in as long as they're in, if they fall out because they shrunk I leave them out.
If anyone knows why they're in I allso would like to know their purpose.
GrtZ
Philippe[/quote]

I've been told that they prevent cylinder ringing / vibration at high frequencies.
Suspect all rubber over 20years no longer serve their purpose as they harden and shrink.
£25 for a new set of 8. Can't quite bring myself to do it.
Old ones might have to go back in with a dab of silicone gasket to hold them in place.

Perhaps someone has reassembled an engine without them and can advise on whether they make a difference or not?

zed1015
Hardcore
Hardcore

#4 PostAuthor: zed1015 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:41 pm

Built loads of engines without them in.
Doesn't make a difference and they don't prevent ringing as they aren't between the fins just in the base.
I sure the holes are remnants of the jigging process during manufacture and machining and the bungs are there to stop debris filling the holes which could then drop into the case mouths when the barrels are lifted.

David32knyte
Regular Poster

#5 PostAuthor: David32knyte » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:05 pm

[quote="zed1015"]Built loads of engines without them in.
Doesn't make a difference and they don't prevent ringing as they aren't between the fins just in the base.
I sure the holes are remnants of the jigging process during manufacture and machining and the bungs are there to stop debris filling the holes which could then drop into the case mouths when the barrels are lifted.[/quote]

OK good to hear.
I suspected the holes that get bunged were part of the casting / boring process - and the damper bungs are really just to finish them off & as you say block road debris from dropping onto the cases.
Thanks

Return to “Bike Help”