Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Yes sorry more carb woes....

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

Gibbotvr
Regular Poster

Yes sorry more carb woes....

#1 PostAuthor: Gibbotvr » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:48 pm

If anyone out there could possibly point me in the right direction for my Z1000J 1982

As previously mentioned my set of BS34's have two stripped threads with the fuel air mix. The carbs are clean and will run off choke but can not be repaired.
I was hoping to get a decent set of replacement BS34's but it has not happened.

I manged to get a like brand new set of BST34's of a GSXR1100 Slabside from Belgium, but unfortunately the spacing is just that bit off and has ripped one of my brand new inlet rubbers!! They are 80-92-80 even though everyone says they should be the standard 77-93-77.

As previously mentioned on here the standard 77-93-77 is not what is fitted mine either and they are more like 77-96-77 causing the miss-alignment of the inlets.

So after ordering some more inlet rubbers...grrr..I still have a bike with no fuel going into it.

I am very reluctant to buying an old set of carbs to try and make a good set as I'm worried about buying a load of rubbish.(and I've already chucked a fortune at this).
I am also worried about going the whole hog and buying some new Mikuni RS'S and having the same spacing issue.

So please guys can I have some words of wisdom before I set myself or the bike on fire!!! :down

z1bman
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: Yes sorry more carb woes....

#2 PostAuthor: z1bman » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:06 pm

oldzed
100Club
100Club

#3 PostAuthor: oldzed » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:20 pm

I have a set of BS34 but they are probably off a gs1000.
I can post pictures of the carb spacing if you like .

Carb spacing are shown here
http://mototh.com/files/other/carbureto ... manual.pdf
member number 0664

Who can catch a Kawasaki?
A police helicopter

Gibbotvr
Regular Poster

#4 PostAuthor: Gibbotvr » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:13 am

Thank you for the Ebay link, I think it would end in a divorce if I spent a grand on a set of second hand carbs. They don't even look gold plated :D

Yes please if you wouldn't mind sending a pic please that would be great.

Cheers.

Gibbotvr
Regular Poster

#5 PostAuthor: Gibbotvr » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:34 am

Sorry after translating the Ebay site they are new!!! Blimey, still would end in divorce though!!! :roll:

rickm
100Club
100Club

#6 PostAuthor: rickm » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:47 am

I don't know whether what I'm about to suggest is possible, but if it's just the carb spacing that's wrong then could you just dismantle the mounting brackets and associated gubbins from both sets of carbs and swop in the Suzuki carbs onto the original brackets?
You'd probably need to "make them fit" (with a bit of bracket drilling) but if the carb bodies are a reasonable match then it can't be impossible?
H2B GPZ900R

Gibbotvr
Regular Poster

#7 PostAuthor: Gibbotvr » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:35 am

I have looked at the possibility, the carbs are very suited to a slight adjustment as they are the old "Tintop" type that the 2 outside carbs are linked together and the rail only connects the centre two but I want to be sure before I get the hacksaw out. I did have a little play.

I'm also hoping that the two new inlet rubbers, being OE, are a better quality to the after market ones I bought and might take a bit more abuse.

But thanks again for the suggestion.

rickm
100Club
100Club

#8 PostAuthor: rickm » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:23 am

Still cost you a few quid, but could you pick n mix from these ?
You should be able to make one good set, and then sell off the bits you don't need ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kawasaki-Z10 ... SwrL9dww3G
H2B GPZ900R

Gibbotvr
Regular Poster

#9 PostAuthor: Gibbotvr » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:57 am

Yeah, I've been watching Fleabay but I am so worried about buying a rubbish set. That company who advertises quite a few sets, I've emailed twice about condition etc and never had any replies.

Al
Hardcore
Hardcore

#10 PostAuthor: Al » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:13 pm

Number 3 carb is scrap but assuming you wanted two bodies and not number 3 this would be a cheapish way out.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kawasaki-Z10 ... SwLN5e18wS

If you bought RS 34 or RS 36 carbs and they didnt fit then there is something wrong with youre head :D :D
They fit, they work and on to the next problem! I wont say that they dont need some setting up because they do and its true that they have a tendecy to flood as they age a bit but like everything else, they worked one and can therefore be fixed. They will give about 3 to 5 more HP that the CV's will but the difference in the way they perform in all other departments is hard to overstate. They are more thirsty than CV's but they are also not 40 years old and all parts can be bought new.

On the CV's at Two wheels, if you are going to mix and match, there are different versions of those variety of CV bodies. One example is that some have coasting enricheners and some not. Bodies for both types are completely different!
Similarly there are different sets of banks of RS carbs as can be seen from the link posted above.
AL
1981 J1

Gibbotvr
Regular Poster

#11 PostAuthor: Gibbotvr » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:05 pm

Yeah I think you are right, mine has the pump diaphragms on the side and as far as I can tell those do not.

Who is the best supplier to get RS's from. I see with the Australian supplier on Ebay (who can supply them and ship them cheaper than you can get over here..until you put the import duty on it!!)
will modify them to your specific spacing.

oldzed
100Club
100Club

#12 PostAuthor: oldzed » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:44 pm

Took some pictures of carb spacing on my BS34s
20200617_185813.jpg

First picture is carb 1 to 2
20200617_185827.jpg

next one is 2 to 3.
Excuse the grubby fingers was just finished work
member number 0664

A police helicopter

oldzed
100Club
100Club

#13 PostAuthor: oldzed » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:46 pm

If you need any other photos let me know
member number 0664

A police helicopter

Gibbotvr
Regular Poster

#14 PostAuthor: Gibbotvr » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:19 am

20200618_104129.jpg
20200618_104129.jpg
Thanks for the pics please see mine..

The BST34's I got went the other way down to 90.6mm so it was just too much for the inlet rubbers to deal with.
I will list these BST's on the "For Sale" page before I put them on Ebay. They are like brand new and would be ideal for a project, just not mine...
Attachments
20200618_104236.jpg

Adrianbrooksbank
Regular Poster

#15 PostAuthor: Adrianbrooksbank » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:30 pm

Carbs off a Gsxr1100 don't fit without a lot of messing,as well as jets etc,Z100J head is it the same as GPZ1100B?,I have Z1100carbs on mine with dynasty kit,but ran as well with 160 mains with pod filters Depends what you want,to ride and use or performance RS flats are a lot of money and awkward to set up,somebody will contradict no doubt!. If fitting carbs I always use a hairdryer to soften and make pliable so not to damage. I always soak and use heat for air screws.

Return to “Bike Help”