Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Carb rebuild bits and carb specs

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

TiBolts
100Club
100Club

Carb rebuild bits and carb specs

#1 PostAuthor: TiBolts » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:17 am

Hiya
I'm rebuilding the carbs on my Z1000-A1 project that I bought in bits. It looks like someone's been inside these at some point because none of the screws were very tight on the float bowls or tops, and the insides are nice and dry and clean - good news that they weren't all gummed up.
All of the needles and float valve assys etc look in really good order - I was thinking I'd need to replace them all. I've seen the thread on here about Keyster kits and there seems to be mixed opinions; however I think I'll be OK reusing what I've got... except:
I will need new top and bottom gaskets, and the various 'O' rings look tired. I can't see any kits just including these so I'm assuming that I might as well buy the kits (Wemoto do one for £17) and just use the gaskets and o rings. Unless these are available separately - but they probably cost as much as a kit!?
Also, the bike has an airbox but these carbs seem set up too rich - the main jets are 115 (the manual says they should be 107.5) and the needle circlips were on the bottom groove and I believe the standard setting is the centre groove? Also the needles are 5CN8 and I'm not sure if this is standard? Could someone please confirm. The pilot jets and float valves have the right numbers stamped on them.
Sorry for all the questions but I know you guys all love sharing your extensive geeky Zed knowledge... :wink:
:mrgreen: 2006 Bonneville T100 (lightly customised) and Z1000-A1 (nearly finished!!!)

Ultim8pc
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: Carb rebuild bits and carb specs

#2 PostAuthor: Ultim8pc » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:52 am

I use Keyster kits and never had a problem. That said you sold always use the OEM needles if they are usable.
It's worth buying the complete kits just for the gaskets, jets and o-rings as it's cost effective.
107.5 MJ & 17.5 PJ is correct for the 26mm carbs on the A1. The needle should be 5CN8 and set on the on middle groove. (Assuming standard airbox and exhaust).
http://www.airevalleyclassics.co.uk
10% discount code Z1OCTEN
Keyster rebuild kits & carburettor spares - airscrews, jets, needles, starter plungers & gaskets.
Also petrol/ethanol proof float bowl gaskets. IMD pistons preferred seller.

wheelysteve
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#3 PostAuthor: wheelysteve » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:56 am

If you don't need the jets replacing, then these kits here will do. They are sold by a member on here and I've just used them on my Z1R. They come with top/bottom gaskets, o rings and float valves. The quality looks good as they are made in Japan.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203004098990 ... 3004098990
1975 Z1B Candy Red/Blue
1975 Dogs Z1B
1976 Z900 A4
1977 Z650B1
1978 Z650B2
1978 KZ1000D Z1R
Yam Tracer 900GT

PUM 710

TiBolts
100Club
100Club

#4 PostAuthor: TiBolts » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:51 am

That's great, thanks for the info guys. :D
:mrgreen: 2006 Bonneville T100 (lightly customised) and Z1000-A1 (nearly finished!!!)

Ultim8pc
Hardcore
Hardcore

#5 PostAuthor: Ultim8pc » Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:36 pm

wheelysteve wrote:If you don't need the jets replacing, then these kits here will do. They are sold by a member on here and I've just used them on my Z1R. They come with top/bottom gaskets, o rings and float valves. The quality looks good as they are made in Japan.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203004098990 ... 3004098990

Those Tourmax bits are good enough for a basic rebuild.
http://www.airevalleyclassics.co.uk
10% discount code Z1OCTEN
Keyster rebuild kits & carburettor spares - airscrews, jets, needles, starter plungers & gaskets.
Also petrol/ethanol proof float bowl gaskets. IMD pistons preferred seller.

Return to “Bike Help”