Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Weird headlamp brackets?

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

steve452
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

Weird headlamp brackets?

#1 PostAuthor: steve452 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:11 am

Just about to fit the headlamp shell now my brightwork's back from the platers and came across this anomaly which I hadn't noticed before. The left bracket seems to be normal but the right has an extra plate welded on to it! Both brackets are the originals that came with the bike when I bought it new in 1975 and nobody has played with it since. It was in pieces in my Mum's flat for 35 years, so unless we had a burglar call with welding equipment who decided not to steal anything it was original fitted equipment. Anybody any idea what this extra plate does or why the two brackets are different? I'm going to attempt to fit the grommet through the extra plate although a tight fit and wondered if this was correct? Kawasaki certainly do move in mysterious ways :D
Attachments
hlamp brkt right.jpg
hlamp brkt left.jpg
Z1-B, 400bhp ZX1000NGF

90% of questions that begin "Why..." can be answered with "Because people are stupid."

chrisNI
Site Admin

Re: Weird headlamp brackets?

#2 PostAuthor: chrisNI » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:32 am

I've a pair in the garage that were the originals new on my Z1000A1 and they're both like that with the extra tab. :shock: If those are definitely original maybe during 1974/1975 production Kawasaki decided to add the mod and your bike got one of each...

tlc
Hardcore
Hardcore

#3 PostAuthor: tlc » Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:06 pm

I remember contemporary road tests complaining about blowing headlamp bulbs. Sometimes lasting only a few hours. I think the temporary fix was to remove the bracket under the headlamp bowl but this would cause the headlamp to droop downwards in use.
Maybe this was a factory mod to alleviate the droop?
This would not be the first time Kawasaki had done a mod without telling customers, then come out with a mod from the factory.
Asphalt Cowboy Z1100R, 1981 Z1000J

garyd
Hardcore
Hardcore

#4 PostAuthor: garyd » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:19 pm

When Kawasaki changed models their parts bin didn't keep in sink....so oftern new models had some bits from the previous bike...and vice versa.

So that may have been a 'newer design 'coz they had run out of R/H brakets for your model.

Back in the day, When we trashed these bikes, I can remember stipping Z1A paint off...only to find Z1 paint underneath.

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#5 PostAuthor: Philippe » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:13 pm

Hi Steve
don't worry about the extra plate. Kawasaki decided to strenghten the brackets and to use harder rubbers. That way they could remove the headlamp bracket underneath because this caused the blowing of the light bulb.
As tlc mentioned allready, the harder rubbers were needed to prevent the light bowl from dropping down.
They were introduced during the production of the Z1B.
So nothing to worry about, just Kawasaki deciding that they needed to upgrade the bike.
GrtZ
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

chrisu

#6 PostAuthor: chrisu » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:26 pm

tlc wrote:I remember contemporary road tests complaining about blowing headlamp bulbs. Sometimes lasting only a few hours. I think the temporary fix was to remove the bracket under the headlamp bowl but this would cause the headlamp to droop downwards in use.
Maybe this was a factory mod to alleviate the droop?
This would not be the first time Kawasaki had done a mod without telling customers, then come out with a mod from the factory.

and yet on later bikes they put the bracket under the headlamp bowl back....

steve452
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#7 PostAuthor: steve452 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:18 pm

Many thanks to all. As you can now see from pic I managed to get the whole shenanigan together (technical term there). I can't for the life of me remember whether the front harness block connectors join to the main loom connectors inside the headlamp shell so I've done it anyway. Will find out when the wiring I've ordered arrived so I can make up the tails for the City light. Time will tell :D
Attachments
20200623_201550.jpg
Z1-B, 400bhp ZX1000NGF

90% of questions that begin "Why..." can be answered with "Because people are stupid."

Return to “Bike Help”