Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Removing the engine Z650

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

Oggers
Regular Poster

Removing the engine Z650

#1 PostAuthor: Oggers » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:56 am

Folks

Reading about somewhat, a reasonable idea on how to remove the engine involves placing the R/H side of bike/frame on the floor - with suitable blocks under the head/cranckcase/box - undoing the mounting bolts and lifting the frame off vertically.

Anyone any futher clues on this method? Which bolts to undo when the bike is upright - if any, and any other tips much appreciated. There is only one of me by the by - so have no other help.
1946 Ariel VB600, 1966 Triumph Bonneville, 1975 400/4, 1979 Z650

Crofty
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

Re: Removing the engine Z650

#2 PostAuthor: Crofty » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:21 pm

If the frame is in good order and you are removing the engine to do repairs this is a good idea. If you are removing to refinish the frame I would lift the engine out of the righthand side of the frame with the wheels on . Re-fitting the engine with it on its side is a really good idea if you want to avoid scratching the paintwork or powder coating.
That said I have managed to lift one in on my own and on its wheels. I used plumbing pipe insulation foam zip tied over the frame tubing.

chrisNI
Site Admin

#3 PostAuthor: chrisNI » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:05 pm

If you’re laying on its side to lift the frame off don’t forget to drain the oil out first... :D

Julian_Boolean
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#4 PostAuthor: Julian_Boolean » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:54 am

Drain the oil out whichever way you're taking the engine out, it makes it 3 kilos lighter.
An expanding collection of parts pretending to be a Z1100R and a Yamaha FZ750

Oggers
Regular Poster

#5 PostAuthor: Oggers » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:58 am

Folks

Engine now separated from frame using the method below. It must be pushed to the right due to the lower L/H welded web for the mounting bolt - which prevents extraction otherwise.

With the engine in the frame and in the vertical position, support the engine on wooden blocks of wood.
Undo all mounting bolts and plates except middle front one on the L/H side.
Prepare engine landing area with wooden blocks to support clutch casing and head. Lay something soft on top - I used a thick foam sheet.
Gently pull the whole lot over to the right - supporting the engine not the frame. I just pulled it over and lowered it by the head.
Undo the remaining mounting bolt.
Support the rear of the frame with a jack/plank whatever so the frame sits horizontally.
Wiggle at the front to ease the frame off the engine, trying to ensure the whole frame lifts off horizontally.

All the above took around 15 mins with just me, and I was pleasantly suprised how easy it was. I was fortunate that all mounting bolts came off easily.

Just take your time, check all the mounting bolts have been removed, and support the engine properly.
1946 Ariel VB600, 1966 Triumph Bonneville, 1975 400/4, 1979 Z650

Return to “Bike Help”