Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Yep! Sorry Starter Clutch

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

Gibbotvr
Regular Poster

Yep! Sorry Starter Clutch

#1 PostAuthor: Gibbotvr » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:54 am

Hi. I'm sorry if this has been covered a gazillion times before but I can't quite get the right answer in Search.

I replaced the starter clutch pegs and springs a couple of weeks ago, the new springs were about a third again long. Everything else looked in good condition.
With the running issues I have been having the starter system has seen some use recently.
When I first put it in every touch of the button caught the engine, but now it has started spinning again.
I understand the theory of how it works, is there any remedial work that can be done to get it working or am I looking at replacing components.
Is it normally the face of the large drive sprocket that has gone out of tolerance or the ramp face on the boss or have I just done a crap job (probably the last option :roll: )

I guess the more slip the more it can knacker up the surfaces.

warren3200gt
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: Yep! Sorry Starter Clutch

#2 PostAuthor: warren3200gt » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:39 am

Sounds like you used a starter kit and not a new starter. Those kits never last more than 6 months at best and are a false economy and are only good for conning people out of hard earned. I had a member from another forum ask me to replace his starter clutch on a 650 which had been done 3 months previously by his local shop. They charged him £600 for the privilige.
PUM 488 June 2023
76 Z900A4, 77 Z650B1, 77 KZ650B1, 77 Z1000A1, 82 Z1000J2, ZRX1100R.

Al
Hardcore
Hardcore

#3 PostAuthor: Al » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:30 am

Has the rotor lost taper lock and come loose.

AL
1981 J1

Gibbotvr
Regular Poster

#4 PostAuthor: Gibbotvr » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:59 am

I'm hoping the rotor hasn't come loose. I torqued it down to the manual's specs but the way my luck is going with this project.
What's the fix? Is it get it off again and face the taper up.
Not going to do the crank any favours if it keeps spinning. Is there anyway to check on that before stripping it all down?

If it has not come loose do you have to replace the large sprocket, needle bearing and the complete boss with new? Are they still available?

Al
Hardcore
Hardcore

#5 PostAuthor: Al » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:17 pm

Pop the outer cover off and it will be apparent if its loose. It will turn by hand. Mine used to come off frequently. Sometimes after it had been just put on or sometimes after giving it too much on track etc. It will gall the crank taper and the rotor taper if it does come loose and is left that way. You can lap it back on with a suitable medium but need to be aware that as you do this it will pinch up on the rubber faced damper ring which sits at the back. You then need to 'shave' this co-respondingly!!!!
I have been exceptionally lucky with mine. The rotor has come off many times but i have never had any trouble with the actual starter clutch mechanism itself. I believe all parts are available but the large starter gear is 'butt clenchingly' expensive. Easiest thing first is the rollers since you mentioned that you didnt replace them as they looked ok. Good 'other' second hand parts should be redily available since the engine itself only went out of production 'relatively' recently as it was used by the US police for many many years.

AL
1981 J1

Gibbotvr
Regular Poster

#6 PostAuthor: Gibbotvr » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:49 pm

Yeah sorry I did replace the rollers. I had a quick look on ZPower and they have the main clutch part available for £107.00.
Whilst running I've been hearing a hollow rumble sound, not deafening but just at low frequency. I wonder if that what the noise is. It was there before I took the rotor etc off to replace the starter clutch components, so I wonder if this is why the starter was spinning even before I stripped it down and it is no better now.

Once it slips I guess it will glaze the faces so even if you take it off and refit without glaze busting it will start slipping again sooner or later...as it has...

Seems to make sense, cheers.

z1bman
Hardcore
Hardcore

#7 PostAuthor: z1bman » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:52 pm

its pointless just replacing the rollers & springs without changing the gear & the cage that hols the rollers

Coose
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#8 PostAuthor: Coose » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:01 pm

If the flywheel isn't loose on the taper as Al describes above and the rollers just aren't having purchase on the starter gear, the rollers start to skip and wear a series of small flats on the starter gear face which causes the skipping to become worse. The only cure then is to replace the starter gear.

If you hold the gear up to the light you can just see the flats on the driven face.

Gibbotvr
Regular Poster

#9 PostAuthor: Gibbotvr » Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:14 pm

Thanks for all your input I will get it in pieces again :down

Return to “Bike Help”