Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Z650 resto pics

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

Oggers
Regular Poster

Z650 resto pics

#1 PostAuthor: Oggers » Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:50 pm

Chaps

Due to popular demand, herewith a few pics. You may now soothe your fettered brows to moan about the incorrect shade of gloss black used, the incorrect screw head on the frame, or the fantasically inept degree of shine on the engine casings... :D I jest of course.This is not a Harley Davidson forum....

The story so far

Frame, yokes, swing arm, main and side stand all powder coated. All bolts wire brushed/cleaned off - and why not for a few seconds effort...

Engine - Sump came off, pick up filter very clean. Sump cleaned. All casings went off to a local bloke who buffed them up very well. Almost mirror finish. Original screws cleaned up and re-used. All externals treated to pewter rub n buff. Applied it with a brush and a dab of turps. Rubbed off with cloth and a soft brush. Although the engine was in good nick externally, I was very pleased with the result nevertheless. A very uniform finish and a very pleasing sheen. The rub n buff permeates into the alloy, and compliments it rather than simply being hidden by paint for example. Not sure how long it will last, but as I don't intend to use the bike every day, indeed only for sunny days really, then theoretically it should be fine for a good while yet. Didn't replace starter clutch - sorry Warrren....Basically for similar useage reasons. The bike has also only done 19K and it sounded/engaged fine beforehand. Clutch also looked fine, as did primary chain - just. Slack was evident, maybe an inch or so.....didn't feel like ripping the engine apart anyways for a nice to do.

Other
Batt box on, airbox on with pattern rubbers from Z power. Went on fine enough after dipping in hot soapy water. Yokes back on with Pyramid taper bearings. The old bearing cases were a bit of pig to remove, but a chisel and persuader eventually shifted them. New ones went in fine, though their instructions are a bit light. Swing arm and shocks were fine. S/A roller bearings all good, copious grease used on re-fitting.

Next
Carbs about to go in. Not touching them apart from an internal/external clean perhaps. They were fine before. Wiring loom next I feel. Bought a terminal set to replace a few bullets, will stick with original bullets for the rest.
I will check everything for continuity beforehand.

DSCF3138.JPG

DSCF3139.JPG

DSCF3142.JPG

DSCF3145.JPG
1946 Ariel VB600, 1966 Triumph Bonneville, 1975 400/4, 1979 Z650

DavidZ1R
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: Z650 resto pics

#2 PostAuthor: DavidZ1R » Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:54 pm

Looking spot on Oggers, coming on great.
CB125 GT380 CB750F1 Z1R GPZ 750 Turbo Z1R

Bill P
Hardcore
Hardcore

#3 PostAuthor: Bill P » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:13 pm

Very nice job your doing Oggers pls keep the pictures coming :)

r3sc
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#4 PostAuthor: r3sc » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:26 pm

It’s looking very nice, like a job up town!

warren3200gt
Hardcore
Hardcore

#5 PostAuthor: warren3200gt » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:29 pm

Looking very nice Oggers. Fingers crossed the starter clutch doesn't come back to bite you in the ass, although if it does its not too bad a job on a clean recently assembled engine. No nasty stuck bolts etc to contend with.
Primary chain slack of 25mm ish is not too bad. From memory, I think 28mm is the wear limit and a new chain has about 20mm slack. On one engine I had no choice as it was 38mm slack and jumped teeth even on light acceleration.
What are you doing about paint, green or red?
Keep the pics coming.
PUM 488 June 2023
76 Z900A4, 77 Z650B1, 77 KZ650B1, 77 Z1000A1, 82 Z1000J2, ZRX1100R.

Oggers
Regular Poster

#6 PostAuthor: Oggers » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:50 pm

Chaps

Thanks for the complements - keep them coming....

If starter goes I always have the kick start! I did umm and ahh about it, but eventually I did think it was too much of a nice to do at only 19K miles. 40K or so would have tipped the scales.

UK bars purchased. They look just the job as do the throttle cables and clutch cable. Not much else to buy really as everthing was in half decent order to start with. Chrome clock covers I feel - just the lower part. The whole thing would be too much bling. Still in two minds to whether to do the dials. Bits need spray painting and switchgear halves definitely need blasting and sorting. Some PO has done a horrible gloss black brush paint job on them. Cannot bear looking at them - ghastly... Back of the idiot light panel also seems to be missing.

Paint - well yes....I still favour the green, and it is correct for a B3.....still thinking about it.... Can be done anytime I guess.
1946 Ariel VB600, 1966 Triumph Bonneville, 1975 400/4, 1979 Z650

DavidZ1R
Hardcore
Hardcore

#7 PostAuthor: DavidZ1R » Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:41 pm

I have the B2, but painted it the B1 green, much better than the blue that it was.
CB125 GT380 CB750F1 Z1R GPZ 750 Turbo Z1R

Return to “Bike Help”