Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Clutch switch

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

rickm
100Club
100Club

Re: Clutch switch

#16 PostAuthor: rickm » Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:41 pm

Pigford wrote:
rickm wrote:Regarding oil, I use bike specific wet clutch fully synthetic without any issues (no clutch slip etc).
I take the line that I want the best most slippery oil I can get to protect my moving parts :Oo

Allegedly, I've read tech papers stating if the oil is too SLIPPY, this can damage/wear roller bearings as they can end up sliding, rather then spinning as designed? :nikd

Yes, I've seen that too, although it must be difficult to know in a working engine exactly at what point sliding rather than spinning might occur. Guess you'd just have to strip it down and look for abnormal wear?
H2B GPZ900R

warren3200gt
Hardcore
Hardcore

#17 PostAuthor: warren3200gt » Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:57 pm

I would think modern oils are designed for modern engineering tolerances which are a lot tighter now than in the 70's. Those larger 70's gaps need to be filled with something or the fit will be sloppy and wear would be excessive. The viscosity of semi and fully synthetic is thinner than the same grade mineral so, to my mind, wouldn't fill the "gaps" as effectivly or for as long as good ol mineral.
As semi and fully synthetic oils were not around in the 70's our bikes were definately not designed with them in mind so I cant see any reason to use them and have plenty of doubts which makes me not use them.
PUM 488 June 2023
76 Z900A4, 77 Z650B1, 77 KZ650B1, 77 Z1000A1, 82 Z1000J2, ZRX1100R.

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#18 PostAuthor: Pigford » Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:32 pm

warren3200gt wrote:Those larger 70's gaps need to be filled with something or the fit will be sloppy and wear would be excessive. The viscosity of semi and fully synthetic is thinner than the same grade mineral so, to my mind, wouldn't fill the "gaps" as effectivly or for as long as good ol mineral.

Banana skins spring to mind :rock
And on the 7th day... Zeds were created!

rickm
100Club
100Club

#19 PostAuthor: rickm » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:24 am

I'm not an oil expert.
I guess my opinion is tainted by my own experience with my first J back in the 80s.
After a sustained high speed motorway run it fried the mineral oil and welded the scraper rings to the pistons. Amazing that it still rode the 60 miles home, albeit with plumes of oil smoke coming out of the exhaust. I don't know whether modern synthetics would fair any better, but I know the old stuff wasn't up to the job. I expect today's mineral oils are probably better than they were back then.
H2B GPZ900R

Return to “Bike Help”