Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Front sprocket install

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

steve452
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

Front sprocket install

#1 PostAuthor: steve452 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:41 pm

In the absence of the special tool for locking the sprocket does anyone have any suggestions regarding locking it whilst installing the locking nut?

Also, the shop manual states torque should be 87 - 108 ft-lbs. What do you guys reckon is the minimum acceptable as 108 is a hell of a lot on a bike?
Z1-B, 400bhp ZX1000NGF

90% of questions that begin "Why..." can be answered with "Because people are stupid."

CAT3
100Club
100Club

Re: Front sprocket install

#2 PostAuthor: CAT3 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:03 pm

Without the sprocket holding tool, or if you're using a front sprocket without the holes in it for the tool to locate in, I would suggest the most obvious method would be to fit your new engine sprocket, (or old one if just refitting existing parts) & fit the tab washer followed by the nut & nip it up as tight as you can, even finger tight will do at this point.
Refit your chain, then put the bike in 1st gear. Get a willing helper to sit on the bike with the bike on the ground, not on the side stand or main stand & apply both brakes.
You then tighten the engine sprocket nut to the required torque.
Torque wise I tend to go with a mid point figure for parts like this. At the end of the day providing the nut is tight & the tab washer is correctly locked against the nut it will never come undone.

Zedorset
100Club
100Club

#3 PostAuthor: Zedorset » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:19 pm

Stick a long screw driver through the chain from above just behind the front sprocket, make sure the screwdriver goes through a link at the bottom This will lock the chain and sprocket whilst you tighten the nut.

I hope this makes sense.
1975 Kawasaki Z1B
1979 Triumph Bonneville T140D
1969 BSA B25 Starfire

MrDavo
100Club
100Club

#4 PostAuthor: MrDavo » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:41 pm

That’s a good suggestion, I’ve been pondering the same problem. I was also considering jamming a rag between the chain and sprocket. The engine sprocket on my Sportster got tightened up that way, and it’s still there thousands of miles later.

I couldn’t borrow a torque wrench that went high enough so I did it by feel, tight as f*ck, basically.
1974 Z1A
1969 H**** CL450 ‘Scrambler’
2005 H-D XL1200R Sportster
1985 Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera Sport

z1bman
Hardcore
Hardcore

#5 PostAuthor: z1bman » Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:37 am

just wedge a piece of broom stale between the sprocket & the chain

Return to “Bike Help”