Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Engine mounts and oil cooler hoses

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

Mr Bump
100Club
100Club

Engine mounts and oil cooler hoses

#1 PostAuthor: Mr Bump » Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:21 pm

On the 'quick job' that just keeps on growing arms and legs...

I've just come to refit the engine to my GPz1100B2 and found the following:

1- Cracked rear engine mount lug. Obvious answer is to weld it. I think it's old accident damage. Anyone else ever seen this?

2 - lower front engine mounts bent all to nonsense. Looks like I'm missing two spacers 92075-1274, and the bolt has just been horsed up tight anyway. I would normally order new from CMSNL but under the current circumstances who knows how long they'd take to arrive. Has anyone got a couple of spares?

On that subject, I've seen mention of people replacing the two pairs front isolastic engine mounts on these later engines with solid inserts to stiffen the frame up. Is this worth thinking about?

3 - cracked oil cooler hoses. Only visible on the outside, but I don't want the inner surface to start breaking up and filling my nice engine with its rebuilt top end up with rubber particles. NOS cost a fortune from CMSNL. Any suggestions for a more economic fix would be gratefully received.

Happy new year all.

Olly

20201231_194435.jpg
Attachments
20201231_194704.jpg
20201231_194653.jpg
'In your twenties you think you are immortal, in your thirties you hope you are immortal, in your forties you just hope it doesn't hurt too much'

Lemmy

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: Engine mounts and oil cooler hoses

#2 PostAuthor: Philippe » Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:33 am

Hi Olly

1: probably due to metal fatigue,weld it, paint it.
2: straighten the engine mounts, find second hand or new spacers and a bolt and mount the engine.
My B2 rides like a train on tracks, no need for solid inserts.
3: buy good second hand oil cooler hoses and replace them, no need to spend a fortune on new ones.

A happy and healthy new year for you too!
GrtZ
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

Al
Hardcore
Hardcore

#3 PostAuthor: Al » Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:08 pm

The solid front engine mount modification does make a small contribution to the stiffnes and handling but on an otherwise standard road bike i would think it would be imperceptible. I have done it to mine (currently) and its part of a basket of small other changes, which taken together, make a big difference. As you can imagine though; as the engine starts to make power the vibrations go up... very noticably as well. On an otherwise standard road bike, this would ruin what is one of the best riding bikes of it period. If you read the contemporary road tests they took it to a track and could not find any tangible idiosyncrasies. For a road bike i would not bother.

Do you have the thick 'U' shaped spacer for the top engine mount bolt that goes on the LHS upper?

AL
1981 J1

Al
Hardcore
Hardcore

#4 PostAuthor: Al » Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:19 pm

I have replaced the oil cooler hoses with later type braided / re-infrced hose which you buy by the length. The original hose clamps are soldered to the main fitting first and then the hose inserted and machine crimped afterward. You would need to un-solder the crimps being careful not to get it all too hot because the hose tails are also soldered into the blocks. The hose tails are also plain as in parallel. They dont have any means of resisting plain hose from falling off. In my case i bought plain black braided hose and shielded jubilee type fitting but; modified the ends of the hose tails to prevent the hose slipping off. I might be a bit neurotic by nature :D
AL
1981 J1

Mr Bump
100Club
100Club

#5 PostAuthor: Mr Bump » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:53 pm

Phillippe and Al,

Thanks for your replies, very helpful. I'll leave the idea of fitting solid mounts alone.

Al, thanks for the tips on rebuilding the oil cooler hoses, that's probably saved me a bit of head scratching.

I do have the odd U shaped spacer.

Still leaves me missing two spacers 92075-1274. I could do with a replacement bolt too, but the old one should straighten out if it has to.

Does anyone have a pair of spacers that they want to sell?

Olly
'In your twenties you think you are immortal, in your thirties you hope you are immortal, in your forties you just hope it doesn't hurt too much'

Lemmy

z1bman
Hardcore
Hardcore

#6 PostAuthor: z1bman » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:17 pm

spacers part no 92075-1274 in stock at cradley

chrisNI
Site Admin

#7 PostAuthor: chrisNI » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:28 pm

Chances are Z-Power will be able to supply if they’re available :D

Mr Bump
100Club
100Club

#8 PostAuthor: Mr Bump » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:52 am

Thanks for the information,

It turns out they are used on lots of bigger 80s and 90s kawa's, including zzr600 and 1100, so there are loads about if you search for other bikes. Ive just bought 4 used ones plus a pile of bushes and bolts etc for £15.

I'm doing a top end rebuild and a recommission, not a restoration, so unless the used bits turn out to be complete trash (unlikely) they'll do.

Olly

Lemmy

Return to “Bike Help”