Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

CHAIN LUBE

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

dave cullen
Hardcore
Hardcore

CHAIN LUBE

#1 PostAuthor: dave cullen » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:39 pm

Maybe strange request from an old hand, but i'm looking for a recommendation for a chain lube, not one that covers it all in that "new chain" waxy look, and stays on the chain, not my nice rims!

Have used various over (many ) years but thinking I am set in ways and need to get with it!

Dave
Z900A4 Z1000A1 Z1100R

Kev1R
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

Re: CHAIN LUBE

#2 PostAuthor: Kev1R » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:21 pm

Fuchs Silkolene semi synthetic chain lube.
Actually says 'Non Fling Technology' on the tin.

I would say it is the best I have tried so far
Cheers
Kev

Garry.L
Hardcore
Hardcore

#3 PostAuthor: Garry.L » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:23 pm

dave cullen wrote:Maybe strange request from an old hand, but i'm looking for a recommendation for a chain lube, not one that covers it all in that "new chain" waxy look, and stays on the chain, not my nice rims!

Have used various over (many ) years but thinking I am set in ways and need to get with it!

Dave

I use the Molly Stuff, but to be honest non of them do what they say on the tin, ie 'non-fling'.
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

chrispyduck
100Club
100Club

#4 PostAuthor: chrispyduck » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:11 pm

Wurth Dry Lube, best chain lube i have ever used; no fling, spotless wheel rim, extended chain life.
Whats not to like ? :D
Fat girls are like M****s, they are fun to ride, you just don`t want your mates to see you.

Charlie
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#5 PostAuthor: Charlie » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:16 am

They will all fling: If you lube just before you ride, or put too much on.

Chains should be cleaned and lubed when the bike comes back in, preferably while the chain is till warm.

Use as little as you can get away with. Lube the inside run because centrifugal will move it outside anyway. Wurth Dry is decent stuff. Motorex offroad lube ( cos its clear) is also excellent stuff.
Why do I persist in debating with idiots ? I really should know better :)

Mr Bump
100Club
100Club

#6 PostAuthor: Mr Bump » Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:54 am

Worth dry lube works well on my green laner.

In the past, on a classic that only gets used in the dry Ive painted on a thin coat of Scottoil (I had a scottoiler on another bike. That works nicely as it stays there for a long time in the dry and makes the chain look a bit 'oiled', which I prefer, as I always seem to want to oil a 'dry' looking chain. Old habits.

Olly
'In your twenties you think you are immortal, in your thirties you hope you are immortal, in your forties you just hope it doesn't hurt too much'

Lemmy

zapo
100Club
100Club

#7 PostAuthor: zapo » Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:44 pm

+1 for wurths but for the last few months I've been using this stuff ........ https://www.halfords.com/motorcycling/c ... 83119.html .....which seems to work ok and is not flinging off (apply when chain is hot as already mentioned).

dave cullen
Hardcore
Hardcore

#8 PostAuthor: dave cullen » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:29 pm

Thanks for all the tips guys, the dry lube stuff looks good, I just cant remember what I used last which covered the chain/sprockets in waxy material.

I just like the chain to look clean and well oiled, (like myself on a night out LOL)
Z900A4 Z1000A1 Z1100R

zapo
100Club
100Club

#9 PostAuthor: zapo » Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:43 am

dave cullen wrote:I just like the chain to look clean and well oiled, (like myself on a night out LOL)

:lool

dave cullen
Hardcore
Hardcore

#10 PostAuthor: dave cullen » Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:43 pm

Mr Bump wrote:Worth dry lube works well on my green laner.

In the past, on a classic that only gets used in the dry Ive painted on a thin coat of Scottoil (I had a scottoiler on another bike. That works nicely as it stays there for a long time in the dry and makes the chain look a bit 'oiled', which I prefer, as I always seem to want to oil a 'dry' looking chain. Old habits.

Olly

That's an idea actually Olly, I have a bottle of Scottoil from a previous bike, and yes, I agree re a dry looking chain!
Z900A4 Z1000A1 Z1100R

King of Kings
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#11 PostAuthor: King of Kings » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:49 pm

Nowt wrong with EP90 gear oil neither :D

scott
Junior Section leader

#12 PostAuthor: scott » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:20 am

I've used these chain oilers for a while now, much better than a Scottoiler. Oil fling is quite low. It works on motion, so only applies oil when the bike is moving, not like the Scottoiler which throws oil everywhere all the time. The Scottoil can be used in the Tuturo as well.

https://www.tutorochainoiler.com/

flateddie
100Club
100Club

#13 PostAuthor: flateddie » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:41 am

On all of my bikes I use ACF50 on a cloth when the chain is hot, I got rid of the 630 ships anchor chain and use a 530 O ring chain instead on all of mine you just need to wipe of any grit or salt and stop the plates rusting with them
Z1b, z1000a1 x 2 , Aprilia v4 Tuono factory, SV1000

Return to “Bike Help”