Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

new battery

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

David Watson
new poster

new battery

#1 PostAuthor: David Watson » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:22 pm

hi all,
I have a 1977, Z1000 A1.
is it possible to change the lead acid battery to a newer style gel battery without changing the battery charging system.
if not, what needs to be changed to use a gel battery, which parts have you used and was it worth doing.
thanks in advance.
Dave.

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

Re: new battery

#2 PostAuthor: Pigford » Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:18 am

The charging system will handle a battery change to GEL so long as it is working okay.

I'd go to GEL over lead just for safety; no more acid spillage.

Change to a Lithium may require a specific "trickle charger" as they do need a higher rate than lead or gel, but I ran one on my Harris Zed for +12 months with no issues.
And on the 7th day... Zeds were created!

dave cullen
Hardcore
Hardcore

#3 PostAuthor: dave cullen » Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:17 pm

Why not just stick with your Yuasa YBL14-A2, whIch the bike was designed to run with, and hook it up to an optimate, that is all it needs.
Z900A4 Z1000A1 Z1100R

Mr Bump
100Club
100Club

#4 PostAuthor: Mr Bump » Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:39 pm

A gel battery is a lead acid battery, but the fluid isn't very fluid and doesn't need to breathe, so no vents and no spillage. A gel battery of the right specifcation will be a straight swap for a 'wet' lead acid battery.

They are more 'fit and forget' than wet batteries as you don't have to worry about electrolyte levels. They don't require any specific battery charging kit either. That said, they seem slightly less tolerant of abuse and cold weather than wet batteries and don't seem to have quite the same 'zap' as a good wet battery.

Ive got motobatt batteries on all of my bikes because they aren't too expensive and do the job quite reliably, though I did have one go feeble for no apparent reason.

Lithium batteries are a different thing altogether. They are expensive but amazingly light weight. They have something going on internally that enables them to take a charge from a 14v DC supply, but need a special trickle charger which isn't cheap either. Probably not worth bothering with on a fairly standard bike.

If you did want to loose weight you could consider using a smaller gel battery than standard, as the Z batteries are massively oversized in comparison to the ones used on more modern bikes of a similar CC.

Olly
'In your twenties you think you are immortal, in your thirties you hope you are immortal, in your forties you just hope it doesn't hurt too much'

Lemmy

David Watson
new poster

#5 PostAuthor: David Watson » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:48 am

hi all.
I would like to thank every one for there reply to my question.
I think i will stay with my lead/acid battery for now and consider a gel battery when it needs changing.
thanks again
David Watson.

Return to “Bike Help”