Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Painting my brake calipers

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

Johno23
Regular Poster

Painting my brake calipers

#1 PostAuthor: Johno23 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:25 am

Hi Gents,
I have the calipers apart from my Z1000A1 and need to paint them. I will do it myself. I’ve looked up paint and videos and there seems to be an array of “best” ways to do it. So I have a couple of questions please.
1.Should they be gloss black or satin black?
2.Do they need to be painted with a primer first.
3. Some of the paints I’ve seen need curing,do you guys recommend this paint and if so does that need primer first.
4. Some people paint the caliper then put a clear coating on top of the paint. Is that any good?

Didn’t realise there was so much to painting a caliper :D :shock:
Thanks guys.

Skid Mark
100Club
100Club

Re: Painting my brake calipers

#2 PostAuthor: Skid Mark » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:04 pm

Hi Johno,
I am at that stage also and after much research and advice form an agent/ distributor I was convinced to go with POR15 caliper paint.
I was told it was a very flat satin but that I could coat it with a clear coat if I wanted a glossier finish.
I got a tiny pot which was relatively expensive and followed the instructions. It was to be brushed on. First coat was looking really good and not very flat, but did not cover fully. Again following the instructions to the letter, I applied the second coat. At this stage I was confident I was on to a winner,and looked forward to the 'ceramic like finish' promised on the tin, so, I did all three calipers and all the brackets.
The second coat was horrible! It just wouldn't rub out, regardless of whether I applied thick or thin there were streaks everywhere and it was gloss!.
I'm not the worst at painting or varnishing but I couldn't get this to work. It took me three nights to strip back to bright metal :grr
I'm looking forward to hearing other replies.

wheelysteve
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#3 PostAuthor: wheelysteve » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:22 pm

I get mine blasted and sprayed with 2 pack satin black. I've changed all my bikes to synthetic brake fluid to hopefully preserve the finish.
1975 Z1B Candy Red/Blue
1975 Dogs Z1B
1976 Z900 A4
1977 Z650B1
1978 Z650B2
1978 KZ1000D Z1R
Yam Tracer 900GT

PUM 710

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#4 PostAuthor: Philippe » Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:11 pm

Hi Johno23

the caliper should be satin black
depending on the paint, you need or you don't need to put a primer on the caliper

just let me give you some advice.
-make sure you have a paint that's suitable for aluminium !!! Almost all paints will hold on aluminium but some do it better than others.
use a 2 component satin black paint, that means a paint and a hardener for the paint. Depending on the amount of hardener you add to the paint ( between 25 to 30% ) the paint will be more or less satin. The more hardener, the glossier but it will take longer for the paint to cure.
-use a spraygun for applying the paint.
-before painting the caliper make sure ALL the old paint is stripped off the caliper.
-degrease the caliper with aceton,
-screw an old bleeding nipple and an old banjo bolt into the caliper thus preventing paint getting in the brake fluid conducts.
-tape off the opening where the piston sits, again to prevent paint getting in.
-take metal wires (welding rods) or old electrical copper wires (2,5 mm ²) to hold the caliper when spraying it and to hang them up while the paint cures.
-paint needs 3 things to cure: warmth, a soft wind and light (UV beams).
-when spraing parts just remember that the paint doesn't get behind corners, you'll have to be able to turn the parts in ALL directions to get the paint on every spot of the part.
good luck!
GrtZ
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

Johno23
Regular Poster

#5 PostAuthor: Johno23 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:06 am

Thanks Philippe, I will follow as much of that as I can... :D

Mr Bump
100Club
100Club

#6 PostAuthor: Mr Bump » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:12 pm

Hi, someone on here advised using plasticote BBQ paint on Z1000 calipers when I did mine.

Two simple coats and it worked a treat and looked just right. It's lasting well too. I think I cured mine using a blowtorch with care.

Plasticote spray cans in general seem pretty good. My preferred brand now.

Olly
'In your twenties you think you are immortal, in your thirties you hope you are immortal, in your forties you just hope it doesn't hurt too much'

Lemmy

marmck
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#7 PostAuthor: marmck » Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:50 pm

I used this stuff ,no primer ,cure in the oven 90 degrees 4 1 hour worked a treat - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283801580690

deka
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#8 PostAuthor: deka » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:35 pm

For a rattle can (if you dont have a compressor )i used this

https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/simoniz- ... -549772161 you will need grey primer too as it gives better adhesion

gives a nice satin finish like standard
GPZ1100 A1 zrx1100 gsa1200

Return to “Bike Help”