Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Z1A cyl head re-fit

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

garybrez
Regular Poster

Z1A cyl head re-fit

#1 PostAuthor: garybrez » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:51 pm

Hi

I recently had some refurb work done on my Z1A cylinder head .. valve seats recut .. replace bent valves ,, replace damaged guides. new valves tip ground to help shimming ..

Anyway to the rebuild ...

I would be grateful of any tips to help me get it back together e.g can I bench build the head to determine what shims to fit, then remove the cams to refit to engine block ... how to fit valve seals ... and any other tips

CAT3
100Club
100Club

Re: Z1A cyl head re-fit

#2 PostAuthor: CAT3 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:47 pm

You can build the head up on the bench, fit one cam at a time & check the clearances, remove that cam & then do the same for the other cam, (if you have both cams fitted at the same time you'd have to be careful not to bend any valve while turning each cam). You would also need a spanner to rotate the cam with to move the cam lobes to the correct position & you may well find the cam may not want to stay in the correct position for each valve because of the valve springs pushing against the lobes.
Then, when you rebuild the engine you really should check the valve clearance again, just to be sure they are still OK. Some may say you shouldn't need to, but it's always best to check them.

But, to be honest it would be far safer to build the engine up, fit the head & do the cam timing correctly. Then check the valve clearances. Because the shims locate on the top of the buckets they are very easy to change, (with the correct tool !!) & you don't run the risk of bending any valves. By doing it then you also wouldn't need to check the clearances after you refit the head.

That's my two penny worth anyway !!

Return to “Bike Help”