Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Advice - stiffer swingarm for Gpz1100B

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

Mr Bump
100Club
100Club

Advice - stiffer swingarm for Gpz1100B

#1 PostAuthor: Mr Bump » Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:16 pm

Evening all,

Probably a subject that has been done to death, but I'd appreciate some up to date and reliable advice.

Up until very recently my Gpz1100b2 has been running an ally box section swingarm made from a 750 unitrak one adapted to accept twin shocks. The bike recently got a partial rebuild including a fair hike in power output. Either the extra power or just riding the bike after a few years lay off made it apparent that something wasn't right with the handing. Subsequent investigation revealed that the chain run was out of line by about 5 mm, so were the shock mounts. So much for my engineering skills in 200and whenever it was. Dumb ass... :roll:

I still have the original swingarm with good bearings in it so I refitted it and went for a spin. The result is that it generally steers better and is more accurate, unless I hit a bump leaving a corner under power, then it swings its pants around all over the place just like it used to.

I've concluded that it is worth having a stiffer swingarm as it does steer better in corners but my previous effort was too shoddy.

Any advice for a sensible upgrade? I want to run the original wheels and the easier the answer is to adapt and fit the better. Money is not no object, so dropping a grand or so for a lovely thing from Japan can't be done, much as I'd like to.

Anyone got a JMC or similar for sale at all please? There's a mechmatex off a Z1000A on ebay at the moment, but I don't think it'll go straight in will it??

Many thanks,

Olly
'In your twenties you think you are immortal, in your thirties you hope you are immortal, in your forties you just hope it doesn't hurt too much'

Lemmy

engz1b
100Club
100Club

Re: Advice - stiffer swingarm for Gpz1100B

#2 PostAuthor: engz1b » Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:06 pm

hi, i have a zephyr 1100 swingarm , modified to fit gpz1100, z1000j, so should fit, complete with rear brake, torque arm, and new wheel spindle, looking for £ 250 plus postage :D

engz1b
100Club
100Club

Re: Advice - stiffer swingarm for Gpz1100B

#3 PostAuthor: engz1b » Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:09 pm

hi, i have a zephyr 1100 swingarm , modified to fit gpz1100, z1000j, so should fit, complete with rear brake, torque arm, and new wheel spindle, looking for £ 250 plus postage :D

Return to “Bike Help”