Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Z1000A1 Wheel spacers. Help, I’m Confused

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

r3sc
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

Z1000A1 Wheel spacers. Help, I’m Confused

#1 PostAuthor: r3sc » Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:27 pm

Hi All,

I’m in the process of fitting spoked wheels onto my A1 which will replace the 7 spoke alloys currently fitted.

I’m working from the Z power parts book and it gives the information below.

Chain side spacer 42032-070
Chain side oil seal 92050-027 (40x62x7)

Disc side spacer 42032-071
Disc side oil seal 92052-006 (35x52x7)

Now on the diagram it shows the top hat shaped bush as being fitted to the chain side and the thinner plain bush being fitted to the disc side. The trouble is that the plain bush I have is 40mm O/D and suits the seal on the chain side and the top hat bush I have is 35mm and fits the seal on the disc side, what’s wrong here? Is it just a typo?

Next problem is that I have measured the distance from bush outer face to bush outer face on my alloy wheel and that distance is around 195mm.

The top hat bush I currently have for the alloy wheel is the wrong bush for the spoked wheel, I know that but when I measure from the disc mounting face to the outer face of the bush it is 10mm too long when fitted into the spoked wheel but if the bush was 10mm shorter to maintain alignment of the disc, the overall width of the assembly will be less than the 195mm required to bridge the gap between the swing arm when the chain adjusters and brake calliper mounting bracket are fitted.

Could I please have some input on this one as I don’t know the actual sizes that any of the bushes should be in order to ensure both chain and disc alignment along with wheel rim centralisation in the swing arm.

Please help if you can, any help would be appreciated.

Ideally I could do with the dimensions of both rear wheel bushes for the OEM spoked wheel setup on an A1!

Cheers.

kev edwards
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: Z1000A1 Wheel spacers. Help, I’m Confused

#2 PostAuthor: kev edwards » Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:15 pm

The top hat collars go on the sprocket side, but i have vague recollection that when i done this years ago i had to machine up different collars due to dimensional differences between the two types of wheel, hopefully someone else will be of more help.

r3sc
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#3 PostAuthor: r3sc » Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:34 pm

Hi Kev,

Thanks for that, you’re right, the part numbers for the top hat spacers for both spoked and alloy wheels are different.

The issue I have is that the top hat spacers are 35mm O/D on the seal area but the seal fitted to the sprocket side is 40mm!

The seals intimate that the top hat spacer goes to the disc side which has the 35mm seal and the plain spacer goes to the sprocket side with the 40mm seal.

Cheers.

flateddie
100Club
100Club

#4 PostAuthor: flateddie » Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:29 am

hi there,
I have 2 1000a1 bikes both with spokes, there are 3 spacers, a top hat spacer inside the sprocket carrier, a top hat spacer on the rear brake side and a plain spacer on the sprocket outer.
Z1b, z1000a1 x 2 , Aprilia v4 Tuono factory, SV1000

r3sc
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#5 PostAuthor: r3sc » Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:12 am

Hi flateddie,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I have the three spacers, the one inside the sprocket carrier which I know is ok.

I then have a plain spacer which I’m fairly sure goes on the sprocket side and a top hat one for the brake side.

As I’ve never had spoked wheels on this bike I’ve never had any spacers for the spoked wheels so I don’t know the sizes.

I don’t suppose you know the overall lengths of the two outer spacers do you?

I’m sure the one I have for the brake side is too long as it’s from the alloy wheel setup but I don’t know what length it should be.

flateddie
100Club
100Club

#6 PostAuthor: flateddie » Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:55 pm

Hi if I get a chance I will take the rear wheel off and measure them
Z1b, z1000a1 x 2 , Aprilia v4 Tuono factory, SV1000

r3sc
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#7 PostAuthor: r3sc » Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:03 pm

Hi flateddie,

No need to go to the trouble of doing that but many thanks for the offer. I’ve been in the garage all afternoon measuring and I’ve finally got my head round it.

The top hat bush does go in the brake disc side and the plain bush in the sprocket side. The only difference between the two outer spacers is that the top hat spacer is 5mm shorter than the same bush for the alloy wheel.

It’s a result. I can now fit my new tyres with confidence and get the wheels on.

Thank you for your input.

Regards.

Mjay
Regular Poster

#8 PostAuthor: Mjay » Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:09 am

I found this diagram very useful when reassembling the rear wheel of my Z1000 A1. No part numbers listed, but it clearly shows the various spacers etc.

2A25D7FD-E030-4251-B645-5146AA3E5F82.png

r3sc
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#9 PostAuthor: r3sc » Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:01 am

Hi May,

Thanks for that. It’s a great diagram and it shows the setup just as it should be!

The parts diagram I have shows the top hat spacer on the sprocket side which is incorrect.

Great confirmation.

Thank you.

Return to “Bike Help”