Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Oil pressure disappeared on Z1B resto.

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

sharpeyie
Regular Poster

Oil pressure disappeared on Z1B resto.

#1 PostAuthor: sharpeyie » Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:08 am

Hi all.

In Z1B resto mode at moment. Completed the engine recently, filled it with oil and ran it on the starter for a minute in the hope of seeing the oil pressure light go out. It did and I was very happy. Since then it has not happened again. The light came back on again shortly afterward and has remained so; I cannot detect any oil in the oil ways now. I have removed both plugs in the oil ways and turned it over again expecting oil to spu out but nothing. The oil level in the glass drops when engine turns over suggesting it is pumping alright and there is oil in the oil filter.

Am I right in expecting the oil to be circulating at effectively 'starter motor revs' or have I missed something? Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks.

Stewart.

warren3200gt
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: Oil pressure disappeared on Z1B resto.

#2 PostAuthor: warren3200gt » Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:16 am

Think that they are only a few lbs oil pressure. Have you checked the wire to the pressure switch is good and tight connection?
PUM 488 June 2023
76 Z900A4, 77 Z650B1, 77 KZ650B1, 77 Z1000A1, 82 Z1000J2, ZRX1100R.

KeithZ1R

#3 PostAuthor: KeithZ1R » Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:29 am

warren3200gt wrote:Think that they are only a few lbs oil pressure. Have you checked the wire to the pressure switch is good and tight connection?

+1
Keith
:bop :gom

You can never have too many tools in your life, except the two legged variety

I'm never wrong, once I thought I was but I was
mistaken.

Phil Churchett winner 2013

z1bman
Hardcore
Hardcore

#4 PostAuthor: z1bman » Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:54 am

remove the wire from the switch & the light should be off ? if it stays on the wire is going to earth. if you have stripped the motor is highly unlikely to be the pump or the pump strainer its likely to be the switch

Paulb
100Club
100Club

#5 PostAuthor: Paulb » Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:19 am

I had the same problem with my A4. Eventually put in a new oil pressure switch and that cured it
Z900A4.
Ducati Streetfighter V4 S

sharpeyie
Regular Poster

#6 PostAuthor: sharpeyie » Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:03 pm

It was the light that alerted me to a potential problem, but what concerns me more than the light itself is the fact that there appears to be no oil at either inspection plug and when the motor is turned over there’s nothing visible there either. Would you all have expected oil to pump out of those with just starter motor pressure/revs?

Certainly will check the switch again - be thrilled if it really was only that.....

Stewart.

kev edwards
Hardcore
Hardcore

#7 PostAuthor: kev edwards » Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:07 pm

They have low pressure pumps and need to be spinning faster than what the starter can manage, really needs to be started up, make sure you have oil on the cams and bucket areas before you fire it up.

z1bman
Hardcore
Hardcore

#8 PostAuthor: z1bman » Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:04 pm

the light should go out when spinning the motor over on the starter for about 5 seconds even without the engine started

sharpeyie
Regular Poster

#9 PostAuthor: sharpeyie » Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:46 pm

kev edwards wrote:They have low pressure pumps and need to be spinning faster than what the starter can manage, really needs to be started up, make sure you have oil on the cams and bucket areas before you fire it up.

That sounds hopeful.. thanks.

sharpeyie
Regular Poster

#10 PostAuthor: sharpeyie » Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:47 pm

z1bman wrote:the light should go out when spinning the motor over on the starter for about 5 seconds even without the engine started

Mmm that’s what I was afraid of... ok. Step one, change switch.

Mr Bump
100Club
100Club

#11 PostAuthor: Mr Bump » Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:36 pm

I went through this when i span up a rebuilt z1000 engine on the bench to check for oil feed to the head. I had the same, no oil in the gallery that runs across the barrels.

When i removed the oil pressure switch and spun it over there was nothing for a second or two then it burped oil all over my nice clean motor, then all was fine, oil supply to the cams etc.

I think that the pumps struggle to prime up at cranking speed on models with oil pressure switches if the engine has just been built. Probably it primes just fine when it starts up. If you'd rather your oilways are all full up before 1st start try removing the pressure switch and cranking her over.

Olly
'In your twenties you think you are immortal, in your thirties you hope you are immortal, in your forties you just hope it doesn't hurt too much'

Lemmy

kev edwards
Hardcore
Hardcore

#12 PostAuthor: kev edwards » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:29 pm

The very same thing happened to mine this year when i had the top end off, also the same on previous bikes, like i said in my previous post oil up the top end before firing up and it will be fine

Barnett
Regular Poster

#13 PostAuthor: Barnett » Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:09 pm

The pump and gauze seems to hold the oil in it quite well, I remember removing the gauze from a drained engine whilst lying in my back and getting a face full, wanted to clean out sump pan and gauze on a Z1.
On start up I was mindful of this and kicked it over to prime the pump, this soon became apparent that it was not going to work well after trying for ages, pressed starter, still no joy. Thinking that there must be some oil flapping about by now fired her up for a few seconds, oil light went out almost instantly and all was well. It seems that the pump needs a bit of omph to prime and once primed stays that way.

weaver
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#14 PostAuthor: weaver » Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:28 pm

I had similar on an elr engine after rebuild, removed and refitted oil filter and all was good, air lock?

wheelysteve
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#15 PostAuthor: wheelysteve » Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:14 am

Are you sure the o ring (I think it's 91mm) is correctly in place between the sump pan and the lower crankcase.? You will fail to get oil pressure if it's missing or damaged. Easy to check by removing sump pan.
1975 Z1B Candy Red/Blue
1975 Dogs Z1B
1976 Z900 A4
1977 Z650B1
1978 Z650B2
1978 KZ1000D Z1R
Yam Tracer 900GT

PUM 710

Return to “Bike Help”