Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Ignition barrel problem

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

moizeau
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

Ignition barrel problem

#1 PostAuthor: moizeau » Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:28 pm

Chaps, The key can be removed irrespective of it's position. I've checked that it can't be operated with a flat blade screwdriver and I don't want to replace it because 1 key fits all 3 locks. Is it as simple as giving it a good spray of lube or does it need stripping?
Cheers
Pete

warren3200gt
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: Ignition barrel problem

#2 PostAuthor: warren3200gt » Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:07 pm

A good lube should sort it. Sounds like the tumblers are not sliding in and out. Happen a lot with ignitions which are stored with the key in place and dust a crap gets inside and gums them up or the the little flap gets bent and the lock is open to the elements.
PUM 488 June 2023
76 Z900A4, 77 Z650B1, 77 KZ650B1, 77 Z1000A1, 82 Z1000J2, ZRX1100R.

gray
100Club
100Club

#3 PostAuthor: gray » Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:00 pm

I thought a zed's keys could be removed from the ignition when the bike was running, so it couldn't fall out when riding. Thought this was a design feature. perhaps its just mine and a few others that do it.
PS when lubricating locks use dry graphite powder- a wet substance eg oil or grease will attract dust and grit.You can buy it in small tubes with a nozzle - mine has lasted 20 years.
gray

moizeau
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#4 PostAuthor: moizeau » Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:19 am

Thanks chaps, The flap is deformed so the barrel is open all the time. I'll have a look for the graphite powder, thanks for the tips.
Pete

needaz1100r
ZedHead
ZedHead

#5 PostAuthor: needaz1100r » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:02 pm

gray wrote:I thought a zed's keys could be removed from the ignition when the bike was running, so it couldn't fall out when riding. Thought this was a design feature. perhaps its just mine and a few others that do it.
PS when lubricating locks use dry graphite powder- a wet substance eg oil or grease will attract dust and grit.You can buy it in small tubes with a nozzle - mine has lasted 20 years.

Soooo....they made it so that the key will come out in the on position, so that you can remove it so that it won't come out, which it would do because it was made so that it could come out??

No wonder some bright spark came up with the idea of making it so that the key didn't come out in the on position, so that you didn't have to take it out to stop it coming out because it couldn't??
Cheers,

Mark.

warren3200gt
Hardcore
Hardcore

#6 PostAuthor: warren3200gt » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:09 pm

needaz1100r wrote:
gray wrote:I thought a zed's keys could be removed from the ignition when the bike was running, so it couldn't fall out when riding. Thought this was a design feature. perhaps its just mine and a few others that do it.

Soooo....they made it so that the key will come out in the on position, so that you can remove it so that it won't come out, which it would do because it was made so that it could come out??

No wonder some bright spark came up with the idea of making it so that the key didn't come out in the on position, so that you didn't have to take it out to stop it coming out because it couldn't??

:lol: :lol:
PUM 488 June 2023
76 Z900A4, 77 Z650B1, 77 KZ650B1, 77 Z1000A1, 82 Z1000J2, ZRX1100R.

Return to “Bike Help”