Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

fuel tap

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

NorfolkrobA2
Regular Poster

fuel tap

#1 PostAuthor: NorfolkrobA2 » Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:17 pm

hi everyone,does anyone know on here if there is a manual fuel tap for my z1000,A2...at the mo,i have the vacuum tap and i really hate them....had so many probs with my zrx taps,that i am now completely put off,pingel seem to be the only one but bugga,they are so dear....

kev edwards
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: fuel tap

#2 PostAuthor: kev edwards » Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:33 pm

Its pingel or Golan for reliability, cheap doesn't do the job, grumpy1260 at downham market or suzuki performance spares at wisbech are your best bet, I got my pingel from suzuki performance spares, like you say expensive but quality.

ADRIAN H
Hardcore
Hardcore

#3 PostAuthor: ADRIAN H » Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:53 pm

NorfolkrobA2 wrote:hi everyone,does anyone know on here if there is a manual fuel tap for my z1000,A2...at the mo,i have the vacuum tap and i really hate them....had so many probs with my zrx taps,that i am now completely put off,pingel seem to be the only one but bugga,they are so dear....

Pingel with the adapter plate is what I have on my Z1000A2. They are dear, but they work.
adrianhorsfield@live.co.uk
Sunny Bournemouth. Dorset. UK.

moizeau
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#4 PostAuthor: moizeau » Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:37 pm

I'm sure I read a while ago, that a vacuum tap can be converted to a conventional one. Can't remember by who or which topic though, sorry.
Pete

ADRIAN H
Hardcore
Hardcore

#5 PostAuthor: ADRIAN H » Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:59 pm

moizeau wrote:I'm sure I read a while ago, that a vacuum tap can be converted to a conventional one. Can't remember by who or which topic though, sorry.

You can if you purchase an adapter plate.

moizeau
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#6 PostAuthor: moizeau » Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:11 pm

I thought it was about moving the spring to the other side of the diaphragm or something like that.
Pete

Garry.L
Hardcore
Hardcore

#7 PostAuthor: Garry.L » Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:54 pm

moizeau wrote:I'm sure I read a while ago, that a vacuum tap can be converted to a conventional one. Can't remember by who or which topic though, sorry.

Many of the Triples use a Vac tap and there is/was a Guy on the Kawasaki Triples forum who you could send your Vac tap to and he would convert it so the Prime position was changed to a true 'off' position like a Gravity one.
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

NorfolkrobA2
Regular Poster

#8 PostAuthor: NorfolkrobA2 » Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:52 am

hmmmm,im also looking into doing away with these taps on my zrx"s,now,on those its easier to convert to a zzr1200,and reuse the zrx plastic tap handle...im wondering if the zrx tap fits the z??....or,one guy put up on there site saying block off the long inlet pipe and that will be the off position,so on is off/prime is on...hmmm could work....

moizeau
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#9 PostAuthor: moizeau » Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:32 am

Thought so, it was Big Fluff
"Some vacuum taps can be converted by putting the diaphragm spring on the opposite side of the diaphragm and blanking off the vacuum take-off point on the carb rubber."
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=49307&p=406045&hilit=fuel+tap#p406045
Pete

rickm
100Club
100Club

#10 PostAuthor: rickm » Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:22 am

There's a guy called Tangoman in the triples club who refurbs and converts vacuum fuel taps for the triples: "The vacuum system is blanked off so it becomes like a normal tap, so to prime just turn it to the On position, with this conversion at least you can turn the fuel off and drain the carbs and not have to worry about hydro-locking the engine."

He did my H2 tap and it's like original brand new to look at.
Don't know whether he can do the same for all taps, but they can't be that different?
H2B GPZ900R

ADRIAN H
Hardcore
Hardcore

#11 PostAuthor: ADRIAN H » Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:48 pm

moizeau wrote:Thought so, it was Big Fluff
"Some vacuum taps can be converted by putting the diaphragm spring on the opposite side of the diaphragm and blanking off the vacuum take-off point on the carb rubber."
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=49307&p=406045&hilit=fuel+tap#p406045

You learn something new every day. :D

mark d
100Club
100Club

#12 PostAuthor: mark d » Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:08 pm

Please be aware that the Pingle taps have a gauze inside which is straight to the bottom of the tank not like most of our bikes so when we get to reserve we top up with fuel any dirt or crud at the bottom of the bike will some how get through and block up yr jets eventually ! Just something to look out for when buying a pingle tap , not sure if there all made the same though ?
4 pipe a1, z1000 st ,gpz rx 1000 x3 , Rx bitza in boxes x1

Return to “Bike Help”