Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Main Jet Size for 1000j with DYNO JET Kit St3

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

DeadZedDave
100Club
100Club

Main Jet Size for 1000j with DYNO JET Kit St3

#1 PostAuthor: DeadZedDave » Sat Oct 29, 2022 2:54 pm

Anybody know what size main jet should be fitted with a St3 Dyno Jet Kit on a Z1000j ? Bike has individual / pod type filters and open 4 into 1 but motor is otherwise standard. I'm a little bit surprise to find the carbs have only got 105 main jets fitted ! Bike has unknown history and bought as a project - but runs. Plenty of work done by previous owners. No obvious recent engine / carb work and certainly looks like its been run a few miles "as is". It looks possible that one of the previous owners was an engineer and made some of his own parts so I'm wondering if these are 105 main jets drilled out to a bigger size !! I would prefer to fit some jets of recommended / known size..... Can anyone advise what Dyno Jet recommended / supplied with St3 for z1000j ???? The previous owner I bought the bike from had done a paint job / cosmetic job but clearly hadn't touched the mechanicals and didn't know the history...
All help welcome thanks !

Al
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: Main Jet Size for 1000j with DYNO JET Kit St3

#2 PostAuthor: Al » Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:47 pm

Sorry Dave dont know the answer to youre question. I could not imagine it would run with a 105 main jet. I ream all mine out so it doesnt matter to me whats on the outside and so it may be with the ones you have. But just in case here's the table for jets.
127.5 as standard if its a J and they are J carbs and internals from a UK or European model.
When mine was 1000 and had CV's i used 130 with good success and ultimately 132.5 which was pushing it a bit.
I dont imagine the ST3 would be much bigger than one main jet size up from standard.
AL

Carb spec.png
1981 J1

Al
Hardcore
Hardcore

#3 PostAuthor: Al » Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:22 pm

122, 126, 134, and 138 according to the list of parts in the kit.
That looks to me like it was designed to bracket an existing standard main jet which in some cases may still be OK.

AL
DJ 1 to 3.png
1981 J1

zippy
Regular Poster

#4 PostAuthor: zippy » Sat Oct 29, 2022 8:22 pm

105 is a Mikuni jet equivalent to 112 Dynojet size.They are numbered evenly.

DeadZedDave
100Club
100Club

#5 PostAuthor: DeadZedDave » Sun Oct 30, 2022 11:25 am

Thanks for the info gents. They're Mikuni 105's which I guessed must be way too small ! From the exhaust ports it looks like it's even been running a little bit rich so I expect somebody just drilled / reamed out a set of 105's they had lying about. Condition of the back tyre suggests it runs fairly strong...

Return to “Bike Help”