Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Z1B seat stay

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

hondasan
new poster

Z1B seat stay

#1 PostAuthor: hondasan » Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:29 pm

So, what is wrong with the attached? The seat stay seems too short in that when the seat is opened as far as the stay will allow, it will not stop in the open position (and falls shut again) UNLESS it is unhooked and the cable tie you can see used to effectively lengthen the stay a little. The bike is a very original Z1B with just 8000 miles showing. Appears totally original (chrome / zinc finishes, etc) except for the paintwork which Sean Dewis did for me.
The only thing that I am not sure about is the seat itself - it has a black foam which some have suggested could indicate it actually to be an early Z1 seat. Would the Z1 have had a different stay as compared to the Z1B?
Detail stuff I know, but a seat that stays open as intended is more useful when fitting the battery!

Thanks all
Attachments
DSCF5870.JPG
DSCF5868.JPG

marmck
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

Re: Z1B seat stay

#2 PostAuthor: marmck » Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:51 am

My stay is 115mm long with a bit of a dog leg near the bottom ,early Zeds black foam panel in front of seat

z2.john
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#3 PostAuthor: z2.john » Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:05 pm

When on the side stand, the stay will just about keep the seat open but why don't you just unhook the leg and let the seat open fully?
zzz.JPG

hondasan
new poster

#4 PostAuthor: hondasan » Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:41 pm

So, the stay on my Z1B measures just 95mm long. If it were 115mm long as the one pictured then I have no doubt it would "do its job" as Kawasaki intended and prevent the seat opening too far and yet stay open.
If the stay in unhooked as suggested so the seat can open fully then it comes to rest with the rear shock top nut pressing into the vinyl cover - which will ultimately damage the seat cover.
Seems I need a longer seat stay?
Thanks

Return to “Bike Help”