Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Z1000 Air filter

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

bigdjag
Regular Poster

Z1000 Air filter

#1 PostAuthor: bigdjag » Mon May 08, 2023 6:06 pm

Has anybody experienced this. I bought an aftermarket air filter from Z power but it is to long for the filter housing and I can't get the top lid to fit. The part number for the air filter housing is for a Z1000. Are the Z900 filters the same. I've bought aftermarket filters before when I had my Z1R and never had any problems. Anybody any ideas
Thanks

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: Z1000 Air filter

#2 PostAuthor: Philippe » Tue May 09, 2023 3:37 am

Hi bigdjag

if you have the correct air filter box and the correct filter, it should fit.
Does the filter have a thick piece of foam at the back around the opening? If that's the case, the upper metal cover of the filter is stuck at the front of the opening of the air filter box. Use a thin screwdriver or a chisel to stick between the metal and the plastic and push it a bit backwards. The foam will be compressed a bit. As soon as it's free you can push it down a few mm and you can close the box. The same happend to me a few days ago.
Good luck!
GrtZ
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

Ultim8pc
Hardcore
Hardcore

#3 PostAuthor: Ultim8pc » Wed May 10, 2023 9:32 am

The Z900 airfilter is 15mm taller than Z1000. This means the Z900 airbox is 15mm taller than z1000.
Many sellers sell either as compatible with both bikes, which they are not.
z9-1000airfilter.jpg
http://www.airevalleyclassics.co.uk
10% discount code Z1OCTEN
Keyster rebuild kits & carburettor spares - airscrews, jets, needles, starter plungers & gaskets.
Also petrol/ethanol proof float bowl gaskets. IMD pistons preferred seller.

scott
Junior Section leader

#4 PostAuthor: scott » Wed May 10, 2023 11:08 am

I had the same problem even with a new genuine air filter (Z1000A2), let alone the aftermarket one.......they both require a little manipulation via a slight crushing of the top. I couldn't believe i had to do this with a genuine filter but apparently we have too.

gray
100Club
100Club

#5 PostAuthor: gray » Thu May 11, 2023 6:50 pm

Ive had this problem before too- Ive got a z900A4 with ZIR carbs and airbox. And there are various different lids too. So if you has a mismatch between air filter/ airbox / lid then it won't fit. Or the filter will be too loose in the box ( leading to unfiltered air bypassing the filter and entering the engine leading to worn bores- been there)
Might take some time to work out what you have and therefore what you need.
gray

scott
Junior Section leader

#6 PostAuthor: scott » Thu May 11, 2023 8:03 pm

I thought that was the case with mine too but all the parts are correct. Strange one.

Return to “Bike Help”