Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Z900 A4 rear wheel lacing

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

Gray17
100Club
100Club

Z900 A4 rear wheel lacing

#1 PostAuthor: Gray17 » Sat May 20, 2023 11:53 am

Hi Guys, well cant avoid it anymore decided to bite the bullet and strip down rear wheel, it has had a new rim fitted, but previous owner decided it was a good idea to paint spokes and hub silver, not very well either. So took some photos for ref, then fully stripped rear wheel. 1st off polished up rear rim chrome came up like new with no pitting which is great, but its NOT an original Takasago sadly!
Next got each spoke on wire wheel cleaned silver paint off, found they've been powder coated black underneath? That too was cleaned back to bare metal, then polished on a buffer came up well, but after couple of days i could see rust appearing, could have re cleaned but decided to buy new, ordered set from Zpower which have now arrived. I also stripped the hub which has also been powder coated black. No way to strip this so flatted down and 3 coats of Chrome spray plus a coat of 2 pack lacquer has it looking good.
Phillippe in his excellent Z1000 project gives a brief description of wheel building.
My question as i'm about to start mine any tips or info to help me on my way.
Thanks

Z1streetfighter71
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

Re: Z900 A4 rear wheel lacing

#2 PostAuthor: Z1streetfighter71 » Sat May 20, 2023 3:33 pm

Allen Millyard taught me everything i know on this wee vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW2LpGkmPJc

Gray17
100Club
100Club

#3 PostAuthor: Gray17 » Sat May 20, 2023 3:53 pm

Thanks for reply, had a look at video, similar to Phillippes method.
Well decided to dive in and have a go.
2 things to note 20 spokes are inner, 20 are outer make sure you seperate them as they are different. Also good idea to put a blob of grease on spoke nipples to help when adjusting tension.
Next inserted the 10 outer as instructed, just entered enough on rim to start nipples a few turns, then flip over10 on other side, then 10 outers, flip again and last 10. When all in place correctly, tighten them so that just a bit of thread showing. Then measure between hub and rim to ensure same distance. It now looks like Phillippes photo.
Made up a jig using 2 axle stands and pivot using rear axle. Rotated and checked , its slightly out so needs truing.
Think that may be the tricky part? Any suggestions i know you loosen 1 side and tighten other, but how many at a time? 2, 3 or just 1?
Heres a photo so far and another of bike so far.
Its taking far longer then i thought, clearly i dont work at Phillippes pace!
20230520_155908.jpg
Attachments
20230520_155940.jpg
Last edited by Gray17 on Fri May 26, 2023 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

deka
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#4 PostAuthor: deka » Thu May 25, 2023 3:22 pm

excellent i laced my wheels also i was surprised by how its not a daunting as i first thought
GPZ1100 A1 zrx1100 gsa1200

Return to “Bike Help”