Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Z900 rear wheel fitment (yet more issues)

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

z1bman
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: Z900 rear wheel fitment (yet more issues)

#16 PostAuthor: z1bman » Thu May 25, 2023 8:45 pm

By looking at the photo of your spindle it looks like its not the correct one for the bike. it should only have one washer which is 4.5mm thick & you shouldn't have that amount of thread protruding out of the castl nut

Gray17
100Club
100Club

#17 PostAuthor: Gray17 » Fri May 26, 2023 3:14 am

Thanks for the reply, I am dubious about the components originality, however it is the correct diameter for the wheel and bearings, spacers etc. I note on the 2nd attachment drawing the 2 addirional (optional) washers were included on the assembly so guess the issue has been around since new on some? That said i was hoping someone could measure the length of the components so i could compare with my own, that way, I'd know which parts are incorrect. At the moment i have an assembly consisting of axle, several spacers, brake hub, 2 chain adjusters, sprocket carrier etc but no idea if 1 or more components are correct.
Unless someone happens to have their bike rear in bits, i dont expect anyone to dismantle anything, merely measure the distance in situ ie
The brake side spacer, distance between swinging arm chain adjusters and and distance between sprocket and adjuster.
Failing this i will obtain the 2 optional washers or similar to resolve it, not ideal but cant leave as is. At the moment with the Axle fully tightened there is approx 2-3mm of play, if i fit the 3 washers shown back in place this dissappears, someone before me has encountered this previously and just added 3 large washers rather then getting the correct ones for aesthetics.
Thanks

z1bman
Hardcore
Hardcore

#18 PostAuthor: z1bman » Sat May 27, 2023 2:19 pm

This spacer fits on the inside of the sprocket carrier
Attachments
sleev-rr-hub-coupling_medium42036015-01_cf37.jpg
sleev-rr-hub-coupling_medium42036015-01_cf37.jpg (43.81 KiB) Viewed 5163 times

z1bman
Hardcore
Hardcore

#19 PostAuthor: z1bman » Sat May 27, 2023 2:20 pm

This spacer fits into the oil seal on the outside of the sprocket carrier
Attachments
collarrr-hub-couplng_medium42037023-01_0647.jpg
collarrr-hub-couplng_medium42037023-01_0647.jpg (35.61 KiB) Viewed 5163 times

z1bman
Hardcore
Hardcore

#20 PostAuthor: z1bman » Sat May 27, 2023 2:22 pm

This spacer goes between the brake plate & the chain adjuster
Attachments
s-l500.jpg
s-l500.jpg (22.52 KiB) Viewed 5163 times

moizeau
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#21 PostAuthor: moizeau » Sat May 27, 2023 5:03 pm

z1bman wrote:This spacer fits on the inside of the sprocket carrier

Yep, holds the bearing in place, I found out I'd missed it on my Zeph many years ago, following a polishing mop session, on the way to France. Ended up superglueing the bearing in at Mont Saint Michel due the the rear wheel sitting at an obscure angle
Pete

Gray17
100Club
100Club

#22 PostAuthor: Gray17 » Sat May 27, 2023 6:44 pm

Thanks for photos, Yes all those bits are present and in place, however what i dont know is if they are the correct ones for the A4 and thickness. Or as suggested the axle itself is the wrong length?

z1bman
Hardcore
Hardcore

#23 PostAuthor: z1bman » Sat May 27, 2023 8:39 pm

How long is your spindle? measure from the end of the thread to the inside edge of the opposite end of the spindle

Gray17
100Club
100Club

#24 PostAuthor: Gray17 » Mon May 29, 2023 3:26 pm

As i didnt hear back regarding existing part sizes, i pressed ahead and fitted everything as per the manual.
I have just tried to measure axle spindle in place, its not very easy due to spokes and hub, you can only get a rough value, as were only talking mm too long dont think this will help, i'd have to remove 3verything to measure accurately.
Zpower have an axle set which they have agreed to measure when its back in stock, which will help, on the meantime ive got plenty to be getting on with. It isnt loose as in 5-10mm of play its loose as in, in you can still move adjusters wiyjout having to loosen spindle, an extra 2mm washer cures it, it may be thats how ill have to resolve it. Not the ones shown, id get ones similar to the original with 20mm hole in centre.

sean_rfi
Regular Poster

#25 PostAuthor: sean_rfi » Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:14 am

Hello Graham,
I'm sorry if this is a little late but the photo below shows the rear axle assembly for my A4. The axle length is 262mm from the shoulder to where the thread starts.

20230604_110735.jpg

Gray17
100Club
100Club

#26 PostAuthor: Gray17 » Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:42 am

Thanks for the reply, wished my axle looked as good as yours, that looks brand new!, could you possibly measure the spacer sizes too, as was trying to determine what if anything is wrong with my parts.
My axle has exactly the same parts as yours but for some reason 2hen fully tightened doesnt clamp up tightly, therefore assume either axle wrong length, or spacers different thickness.
Many Thanks

sean_rfi
Regular Poster

#27 PostAuthor: sean_rfi » Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:25 pm

Hello Graham,

Please see the photos below. The thinner space is 6mm and the thicker washer is 11mm. I'm not sure if they may have selected different spacers on the production line to allow for manufacturing tolerances on the other parts e.g. swingarm dropouts etc
Attachments
20230605_201627.jpg
20230605_201724.jpg

Gray17
100Club
100Club

#28 PostAuthor: Gray17 » Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:56 am

Thanks Sean, thats exactly what i was after and makes sense, it could also be the reason mine now doesnt tighten up properly. If 1 or more parts have been replaced at some point.
This bike is definately fighting back, everything you do in the restoration is a real challenge, not sure if everyone finds this or just on my particular machine?
The new one now is cables, clutch, throttle etc which appear to be too long for the standard bars, i assume they are for the high rise type bars. I bought a new one for the throttle close, which was missing and its highlighted the issue!

wilsonsjw11
Hardcore
Hardcore

#29 PostAuthor: wilsonsjw11 » Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:34 am

Graham,
You are not alone, I purchased an UK, August 73 registered Z1 and found quite a few parts missing and some engine bolts had been sheared at some time in its life and glued back in place will high temp silicon!!
Regards
Steve

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

#30 PostAuthor: Philippe » Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:46 am

Hi Gray17

you're experiencing now what a lot of people experience when they restore an old bike...
During the past decades parts were changed by previous owners and you must deal with that.
That's why it's important to gather as much information about the type of bike you own that you possibly can. Books, workshop manuals, parts lists, etc. You can find a lot of information on the internet but beware, there's a lot of wrong information going around!
Kawasaki had the habit of changing parts without changing the part number so even if you have the correct part number, the part you have can be slightly different compared to other, older parts.
Don't worry, you'll get there in the end but it will take time, efforts and money to get your bike on the road again.
The Z900A4, which I think you have, was originally equipped with the high rise handlebars like the Z1, Z1A, Z1B.
It's important when you order parts to tell the dealer what type of bike you have, if it's changed , if it has a different handlebar, if parts are missing...the more information you give, the better he can help you.
Don't be disappointed, those old ladies need a lot of TLC and you must proove them that you can be trusted; if they're convinced they can trust you, they'll reward you with a smooth and good ride.
So, don't give up, go for it !
GrtZ
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

Return to “Bike Help”