Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Wiring sizes etc.

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

Grog
Regular Poster

Wiring sizes etc.

#1 PostAuthor: Grog » Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:10 am

Folks;

As the summer weather continues to fall from the sky I'll be in the garage rather than on the road for now, so thought it was about time to tidy up the wiring loom on the Z1R. I'm thinking of replacing the main loom entirely, but that's a job for the winter when the weather's better...

Anyway, questions:

What size/ampage wire is suitable for replacing things like head/tail light, instrument/switchgear wiring runs? Coils/ignition has been updated fairly recently so not worried about that.
Connectors. I want reliable rather than original. Are bullets still the way ahead, or has anyone gone down the road of butt connectors (oo-errr) for stuff that rarely gets disturbed?
Final thought - what about mini-wago connectors as an alternative to bullets?

As usual, any and all thoughts welcome.

TTFN, Grog.
1979 Z1R (mostly - it's been fiddled with a bit)
1977 Z650B1 - I'll get round to putting it back together one day...

HowieD
100Club
100Club

Re: Wiring sizes etc.

#2 PostAuthor: HowieD » Sat Jul 22, 2023 4:09 pm

I've done several rewires over the years and sourced most of my materials from Merv Plastics:
https://www.vehiclewiringproducts.co.uk ... ble-sizing

Even the thinnest wires can take 11Amps and a whole rear light cluster may only be 2A if everything is on at once.

I use Single, multicore and even trailer cable to make a neat loom. Bullets are still good as connectors go but I use Multi -pin connectors to be less messy and AMP for waterproof applications.

Here's the quote from Merv Plastics about wires.
General notes on cables.
All cables are made up of a number of strands. Generally these strands are 0.20mm or 0.30mm diameter. In our list for each cable we also give the cross sectional area in sq mm and the continuous current carrying capacity in amps.
The breakdown of the cable specification 28/0.30mm, 2mm2, 17.5amp is as follows:
28 strands of 0.30mm diameter, 2mm2 cross sectional area, 17.5amp continuous current carrying capacity.
The following equation may prove useful to work out a cable size required amps = watts/volts.
Coloured cables. When two colours are given, the first colour is the main colour, the second colour is the 'tracer' (usually two thin traces of colour which run straight down the cable). eg. Black/white has black as the main colour and white as the tracer colour.
CD185, Maggot, Z1-R, Horace, Monster 620ie

z1bman
Hardcore
Hardcore

#3 PostAuthor: z1bman » Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:24 pm

I use this company for all my electrical work there's a big list of colour combinations & wire diameters

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/incardesignl ... 3561.l2563

Grog
Regular Poster

#4 PostAuthor: Grog » Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:09 am

Folks;

Thanks for the recommendations. Ralph at Biker's Toolbox also has a good selection of wire etc. at decent prices. Time to break out the crimpers and get to work!

TTFN Grog
1979 Z1R (mostly - it's been fiddled with a bit)
1977 Z650B1 - I'll get round to putting it back together one day...

Return to “Bike Help”