Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Clutch Bite Point / Lever Movement

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

bulldogbobby
100Club
100Club

Clutch Bite Point / Lever Movement

#1 PostAuthor: bulldogbobby » Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:57 am

Hi all

My A4 is running so much better after changing the plugs and caps, thoroughly cleaning the carbs internally and getting the choke plunger seals changed (top job from Rob Meggitt!) Got a little niggle with the clutch bite point however which is right at the end of the lever and seems to be either engaged or disengaged (no real progression?) I've set everything as per the manual (2-3mm play in the lever and the adjuster screw backed out 1/2 turn from tension?) Any more suggestions would be very welcome! ?

Thanks in advance
Last edited by bulldogbobby on Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Let The Good Times Roll...........

gray
100Club
100Club

Re: Clutch Bite Point

#2 PostAuthor: gray » Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:24 pm

what about the mid cable adjuster? And are the clutch plates worn/ buckled ??
gray

bulldogbobby
100Club
100Club

Re: Clutch Bite Point

#3 PostAuthor: bulldogbobby » Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:48 pm

gray wrote:what about the mid cable adjuster? And are the clutch plates worn/ buckled ??

Thanks mate but as far as I'm aware, the mid cable adjuster just changes the length of the outer sleeve for lever play? You might be right about the plates tho - the clutch still works OK (but there's VERY little lever movement between fully engaged and disengaged) so winter job I reckon :up

bulldogbobby
100Club
100Club

Re: Clutch Bite Point / Lever Movement

#4 PostAuthor: bulldogbobby » Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:43 pm

Update on this for anyone having similar issues?

Stripped the clutch to check the springs and friction plates. Not too bad at all but bought new EBC replacements anyway. Then found that the EBC springs were shorter than the ones I took out with a different number of coils - after putting everything back together (plates soaked overnight) and getting the engine oil up to temperature, the clutch is now spot on. Can only assume that wrong springs were fitted by the previous owner but well chuffed it's sorted!
Attachments
IMG_20240126_123346_edit_183445035074090.jpg
IMG_20240126_123942_edit_183635035463124.jpg

Return to “Bike Help”