Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Wiring Z1R help please

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

SuffolkZ1r
Regular Poster

Wiring Z1R help please

#1 PostAuthor: SuffolkZ1r » Sun Oct 01, 2023 1:51 am

IMG_0895.jpeg
IMG_0894.jpeg

Hi guys. Have just fitted a new loom to my Z1R and have just about everything working accept for the front and rear lights. The new loom has not got anywhere to plug in,I’m guessing is a resistor of some sort pictured above? I’m not sure what it does or is called or if it needs to go back on? The other picture of the connector I’m also unsure what should plug/connect into? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have spent many hours scratching my head… Cheers

Philippe
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: Wiring Z1R help please

#2 PostAuthor: Philippe » Sun Oct 01, 2023 3:16 am

Hi SuffolkZ1r

the first picture: no idea (perhaps the connection of the reserve lighting relay of the US version, it switches the head beam on when the driving light wire is broken...)
the second picture is the stop lamp failure relay. It lets the red light flash in the dash board (rev counter or idiot lights) when the stop bulb wire is broken.
Vehicle electricity: weird thing! take care!
GrtZ
Philippe
the differences between a little boy and an adult man is the price and size of their toys!

compo z1r
ZedHead
ZedHead

#3 PostAuthor: compo z1r » Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:40 am

the new usa loom has to b altered to fit euro/uk bikes u will need your old blocks of the old loom and refit both wire diagram us and uk will help !!!!!
THE ORIGINAL TARMAC TERRORIST

Z1000S !! Z1R Z810 [ project ] FZR 1000 RU KTM SXF 250 / 08 R6 and my dog zak.???

Z1OC # 886 till 2026

Grog
Regular Poster

#4 PostAuthor: Grog » Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:43 am

Hello mate;

Philippe is right, the second pic is of the connection for the stop light failure switch. Has it got a switchy looking box hanging off one end? From memory it should be under the tank near the LH frame tube. I've had a look at the manual for the US versions and the spare 4-pin connector you have is for a resistor connected to the reserve lighting system - safe to ignore!

TTFN, Grog

Edit: just looked at the pic again - the foam covered bit at the top of the first pic is the failure switch - tuck it somewhere out of the way under the tank. I assume the end where your fingers are is connected to something already?

Edit edit; duh, assuming that's the bike in the background then unless you have the world's longest wires then it's not connected to anything! Somewhere on the main loom you should have three connections to go - black connects to black/yellow earth. Yellow connects to the blue/red which feeds the brake light switches. Green/white will connect to the same green/white that feeds the idiot light in the tacho. All this from the wiring diagram - not near the bike at the moment so can't give you a physical location for the connections, sorry.
1979 Z1R (mostly - it's been fiddled with a bit)
1977 Z650B1 - I'll get round to putting it back together one day...

SuffolkZ1r
Regular Poster

#5 PostAuthor: SuffolkZ1r » Sun Oct 01, 2023 5:48 pm

Thanks guys, great help there. Yes, it’s a UK bike and the loom has had a bit of butchering over time! The new loom is quite different, colour wise etc. but thanks Grog for clearing up that the plug socket is not really of great importance going forward. Really I just need to get the front and rear lights up and running and I’ll be happy, I must have somewhere some wires muddled, electrics are not my forte unfortunately, maybe have to get an auto electrician round. Cheers again for help guys

compo z1r
ZedHead
ZedHead

#6 PostAuthor: compo z1r » Sun Oct 01, 2023 7:27 pm

The switch gear left hand USA has 9 wires down the handle bars U.K. / euro has 7 German has 4 there are 3 part No to the switches now u have fitted a new loom USA ? So u need to check with a wire diagram ok

Z1000S !! Z1R Z810 [ project ] FZR 1000 RU KTM SXF 250 / 08 R6 and my dog zak.???

Z1OC # 886 till 2026

compo z1r
ZedHead
ZedHead

#7 PostAuthor: compo z1r » Sun Oct 01, 2023 7:35 pm

this is a gen usa loom u can see the block on your bike has different colours to original
s-l1600 (1) usa loom.jpg

Z1OC # 886 till 2026

compo z1r
ZedHead
ZedHead

#8 PostAuthor: compo z1r » Sun Oct 01, 2023 7:39 pm

this the gen usa switch wires 9 wires

s-l1600 (1) bars now 3.jpg
s-l1600 (1) bars now 3.jpg (71.76 KiB) Viewed 9588 times

Z1OC # 886 till 2026

SuffolkZ1r
Regular Poster

#9 PostAuthor: SuffolkZ1r » Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:42 pm

Cheers for the help and photos Compo. Will have another closer look tomorrow evening when I get home.

Return to “Bike Help”