Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Rear Wheel Bearing Help

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

GBZ1000
Regular Poster

Rear Wheel Bearing Help

#1 PostAuthor: GBZ1000 » Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:12 pm

The bearing in my rear wheel sprocket carrier has failed catastrophically. I'm left with the inner bearing race stuck on the spacer that fits between the sprocket carrier and the hub (see image). Usually, I would be applying heat to the carrier to remove the bearing as a complete item, but now I need to separate the inner race and the spacer, which are of very similar external diameters. Has anybody found a solution to this before?

The alternative would be to use a new spacer, but Z Power do not stock them (it's a 1977 Z1000 A1). Anybody got a spare spacer to sell, or know where I can source one?

Thanks in anticipation.
Attachments
Sprocket carrier bearing.jpg
Cheers

Graham

moizeau
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

Re: Rear Wheel Bearing Help

#2 PostAuthor: moizeau » Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:46 pm

I haven't seen this exact issue but you could carefully grind the inner race until it's nearly through then give a smack to crack the remaining bit. Alternatively, a very sharp (sharpened) old screwdriver or chisel between the 2 working around until a bearing puller can finish the job. I had a similar issue with the race on my lower yoke and the 'alternative' method was advised from someone on here.
IMG_20221122_161732_9.jpg

You'll need to tidy the sleeve up afterwards.
Pete

GBZ1000
Regular Poster

#3 PostAuthor: GBZ1000 » Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:15 pm

Thanks Pete.
Cheers

Graham

gray
100Club
100Club

#4 PostAuthor: gray » Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:31 pm

It looks like the bearing race is a mm or 2 wider than the spacer. So open your vice and put the item in it, with the race uppermost and the jaws only just touching the spacer, but with the race above the jaws. then back off the jaws fractionally and by using a socket the size of the spacer, knock the spacer down + through. Some heat to the race first may assist it forcing through
gray

GBZ1000
Regular Poster

#5 PostAuthor: GBZ1000 » Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:09 pm

Thanks Gray. As far as I know, the spacer should not be an interference fit in the bearing, so I'm hoping it should not take too much force to separate them.
Cheers

Graham

Return to “Bike Help”