Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Crankshaft machining

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

Mick J
Regular Poster

Crankshaft machining

#1 PostAuthor: Mick J » Fri Oct 27, 2023 3:53 pm

Just wondering if anyone has tried machining any part of the crankshaft? I want to add an extension piece to the ignition (right) side of my crankshaft, with a keyway. I am thinking along the lines of boring out the centre of the end where the advance retard would be and press fitting a spigot shaft and tig welding it (obviously minimal weld and protecting the part where the bearing runs from excessive heat). I have no idea of how hard the material will be and if normal cobalt tipped tooling will cope with it, I expect it will be induction hardened where the bearings run, but I don't want to ruin the end web trying to find out. I have heard of the end being re drilled for another pin when the drive pin for the advance unit has sheared, I was wondering if anyone has any first hand experience, or any other ideas for attaching an extension shaft? Thanks guys, cheers Mick

Al
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: Crankshaft machining

#2 PostAuthor: Al » Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:33 pm

How about a hollow shaft with a shoulder on the inboard end. Shoulder detail is a mimic of the base of the advance and retard unit so uses the pin and slot to locate it. Longer bolt through the middle and away you go. :idea:
AL
1981 J1

Mick J
Regular Poster

Re: Crankshaft machining

#3 PostAuthor: Mick J » Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:15 pm

Thanks Al, certainly worth some thought, my only reservation would be how much torque it would take before it let go. I am considering all options at this stage, cheers, Mick

Return to “Bike Help”