Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Throttle cables - do you oil?

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

Barnett
Regular Poster

Throttle cables - do you oil?

#1 PostAuthor: Barnett » Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:15 pm

Recently returned from 800 mile mini tour in wales during storm Babit, very interesting over the high mountains in the north with the rain and gale force winds to say the least, had an issue with either one or both throttle cables, sticky throttle and not returning under spring force, tried oiling it but no better really although after use and prob heat from engine on standing it improved and disappeared on ride home as it was dry. Its as though something inside the cable is swelling up. Carb end is all good, clean and no broken springs or seized shafts etc. Decided to replace both once home, got new old stock ones after a search. Question is do I oil them? Or do they come lubed, bearing in mind the closing one I got is NOS and donkeys years old, although looks new and glides nicely. Are they nylon lined?

HowieD
100Club
100Club

Re: Throttle cables - do you oil?

#2 PostAuthor: HowieD » Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:51 pm

I've always oil mine. I open them up at the throttle and pour engine oil through till it comes out at the carbs.
CD185, Maggot, Z1-R, Horace, Monster 620ie

Kev1R
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#3 PostAuthor: Kev1R » Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:56 pm

I always oil new cables - I suspect they come with protective coating of some kind but the additional oil seems to help. I used engine oil for years but recently have been using bicycle chain oil (with a teflon component) which seems to work well. I have also found 'Slinky Glide' cables to be smooth in operation and try to get them when I can.

Barnett
Regular Poster

#4 PostAuthor: Barnett » Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:33 pm

Thanks, I will oil them up then.

Return to “Bike Help”