Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Z900 A4 Strange gearbox issue, anyone help?

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

Gray17
100Club
100Club

Re: Z900 A4 Strange gearbox issue, anyone help?

#16 PostAuthor: Gray17 » Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:46 pm

Thanks for photo, that helps, stripped case off etc to get to selector mechanism, i found my dimple plate was 180 deg out cimpared to yours, renoved it thinking it just needed turning around but found longer pin 180 deg out seee my photo.
Can i just pull the long pin and swop it over
20240224_123904.jpg
with the one 180 deg away so it then matches yours in Neutral?
Removing case has damaged gasket too, plus its a nightmare trying to clean it with engine in frame.

I also notice on your photo its black yet an A4 case is usually silver has it been coated at some time?
Thanks

Update pulled pin and swopped it over, then re fitted dimple plate, however mine isnt now in same position as yours is.
If i select 1st gear it looks in similar position, but in Neutral dimples higher up, may temp fit side case and check if i can see dimple through switch hole. However it now all works.
Thanks everyone for your assistance.
20240224_123904.jpg
Attachments
20240224_125903.jpg

zed9
Regular Poster

#17 PostAuthor: zed9 » Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:54 pm

Have taken cover off so you can see photo and looks similar, mine may be out a little for being moved a bit.

Engine cases are black as i sparayed them and baked in oven when i had top casing enlarged for bigger liners for 1170 pistons plus lots of head worrk.
TF3.JPG
Gear selector a.JPG

r3sc
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#18 PostAuthor: r3sc » Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:59 pm

It could be that the long pin needs moving one hole anti clockwise.

Gray17
100Club
100Club

#19 PostAuthor: Gray17 » Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:32 pm

Zed9, it certainly looks purposeful, sure itl go well once its all back together.
R3sc : hard to show in photos but once i removed the inner case i could tell the dimpled cover was 180 deg out ie dimple facing rear wheel, when it should have been facing front wheel as in Zed9 photo.
I therefore removed the dimpled shield and found the long pin was to the right (1st photo), when should have been to the left, solution swop them around, replace dimpled shield now in correct orientation (2nd 3rd photos) temp refit case and Neutral switch, check operation then remove, replace gasket and refit all.
Strange thing is the pins were taped in place whilst removing and then cover plate re fitted whilst cases were vapour blasted, im pretty sure i didnt seop them around, however cant actually remember if Neutral light worked as bulb was blown when i got it.
Bottom line, im glad its sorted, took me all day but its another thing ticked of the list. Still hoping to get on road for easter.
Just need wiring and seat sorting now, but thats another story.

r3sc
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#20 PostAuthor: r3sc » Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:35 pm

Sorry, I should have said that the longer pin needed to be moved one more space anti clockwise to achieve the same dimple position as the one shown in the photo of the black engine!

If it’s all sorted, all is well! :D

Return to “Bike Help”