Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Fork Stanchions rechrome or new.

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

Z1streetfighter71
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

Fork Stanchions rechrome or new.

#1 PostAuthor: Z1streetfighter71 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:57 pm

Iv seen a few on here not quite happy with the end result of getting fork Stanchions re-chromed. To add to that the availability of OEM Fork Stanchions is just a no go in both cost a rarity and lets be honest... all the aftermarket ones..they are probably all made in the same factory in china. Is it worth the risk on the re-chrome, i need 6 Stanchions done.. or has anyone had good results with aftermarket ones.

wilsonsjw11
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: Fork Stanchions rechrome or new.

#2 PostAuthor: wilsonsjw11 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:59 pm

A.M. Philpot ltd have always provided good work and service for me.
Regards
Steve

sean_rfi
Regular Poster

#3 PostAuthor: sean_rfi » Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:16 pm

I've also had two sets (Z550 and Z900 A4) rechromed by A. M. Philpot and was very pleased with the results.

Z1streetfighter71
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#4 PostAuthor: Z1streetfighter71 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:56 pm

sean_rfi wrote:I've also had two sets (Z550 and Z900 A4) rechromed by A. M. Philpot and was very pleased with the results.

Do you mind me asking what was the charge for them? i have to factor in that im in Ireland and import/shipping costs.

sean_rfi
Regular Poster

#5 PostAuthor: sean_rfi » Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:33 pm

I've just looked back and the Z900 forks were £195 in May 2021
I think this included carriage back to me but were originally sent at my cost.

Z1streetfighter71
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#6 PostAuthor: Z1streetfighter71 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:12 pm

sean_rfi wrote:I've just looked back and the Z900 forks were £195 in May 2021
I think this included carriage back to me but were originally sent at my cost.

No doubt that has gone up a bit but even if it hasn't the math aint that good. £378 for 3 pairs from Z-power vs close to £600 on the re-chrome with shipping over. Ill still get stung on the shipping and duty back but thats just the way it is over here. Anyone had good results from the pattern Stanchions?

gray
100Club
100Club

#7 PostAuthor: gray » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:31 pm

I've used Philpott's several times with good results. Also used HCPG (Hard Chrome Plating & Grinding) in Nottingham - their work on my z900 forks ( done 1988 and 60,000 miles ago ) is still unmarked
gray

zed9
Regular Poster

#8 PostAuthor: zed9 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:56 pm

Price is on their web site https://www.pittedforks.co.uk/price.php £270

sean_rfi
Regular Poster

#9 PostAuthor: sean_rfi » Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:07 pm

I'm not sure how good the chrome is on pattern forks?
The decision might hinge on how much the bike will be used and also how original you would like to keep it.

Z1streetfighter71
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#10 PostAuthor: Z1streetfighter71 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:51 pm

sean_rfi wrote:I'm not sure how good the chrome is on pattern forks?
The decision might hinge on how much the bike will be used and also how original you would like to keep it.

Well lets be honest here , they will never be everyday riders and all ready have a bunch of pattern parts. All have been built from near scrap frames for the most part. Im sure Z-power wouldnt be selling inferior parts. I know nothing beats OEM but they just arnt out there anymore.

ADRIAN H
Hardcore
Hardcore

#11 PostAuthor: ADRIAN H » Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:52 pm

My take is - Hard chrome from Philpots - you do it once and forget. Pattern chrome quality is unknown.
adrianhorsfield@live.co.uk
Sunny Bournemouth. Dorset. UK.

sean_rfi
Regular Poster

#12 PostAuthor: sean_rfi » Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:51 pm

I can certainly see your point regards the much higher costs, particularly if using original parts is not important.
After all you'll still have the original parts if you need or would like to get them refurbed at a later date.
As you say the pattern parts are sure to be serviceable - it would be interesting to hear from anyone who's had experience of them.

Gray17
100Club
100Club

#13 PostAuthor: Gray17 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:23 am

Hi, i have been doing a full Z900 A4 restoration for about a year now, yes i know very slow compared to Phillippe! But in my defence, i take my time as theres no rush!
In answer to your question i was in a similar position in as much as my stanchions were badly corroded, so much so that prev owner put gators on (similar to Hodnas) to hide the issue.
I stripped the forks down and took them to my local chromers, they said they were too far gone and would probably leak, also due to workload were looking at 3 months minimum, never mind the extortionate cost.
In my case decision made, i bought pattern replacements. Upon arrival i weighed them similar weight to originals, dimensions identical too, chroming looked very good with no marks present.
I fitted them with new seals. They have now been on the bike for 6 months no leaks and no signs of corrosion, however i havn't ridden it as yet and tbeyre kept in dry garage under full cover. All i can say is they look as good as original and seem to function as good too at a bargain price. whether they will last 40+ years is another matter but doubt ill be around to worry!

Z1streetfighter71
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#14 PostAuthor: Z1streetfighter71 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:43 pm

I’m in the same boat but for I am restoring five sets of forks. some of the stanchions are far beyond returning back to functioning quality. I am dubious about is it worth taking the risk and shipping them over at my cost only to be told that there of substandard quality for restoration. I have set that are perfect. I’m one stanchion in very very good quality. Even if I just got one re-chromed
IMG_0178.jpeg
IMG_0179.jpeg
IMG_0180.jpeg
IMG_0183.jpeg
IMG_0182.jpeg
I would have two OEM sets and then unfortunately the rest would have to be aftermarket see the quality below.

Gray17
100Club
100Club

#15 PostAuthor: Gray17 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:15 pm

I can sympathise, luckily in my case only had 1 set to worry about, yours look in similar state to mine, if anything slightly better as mine were really pitted and rusty in places, tried on a brass buffer wheel then fine wet and dry but just wouldnt have looked right, and the chromers said the same so in my case had bo choice, very rare are NOS parts available so have little choice but pattern parts.
All i can say is Zpower pattern parts tend to be excellent quality, plus as forum member you get discount too.
Another option may be to ship one set and see how they turn out before deciding on the others, if needed quickly then think pattern the way to go.
Just my thoughts

Return to “Bike Help”