Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Z1000r v j forks

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

Skid Mark
100Club
100Club

Z1000r v j forks

#1 PostAuthor: Skid Mark » Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:39 pm

Hi again,
I need to get the thou off the lift and on the road this summer as it will be 4 years this oct. Since I started it. It was all going so well ‘till I hit a few bumps and then life got in the way.
I was looking for apair( or even one) fork due to a failed rechrome. These are like hens teeth. Does anyone know the difference between the 1000r and J forks. They both are unbalanced air assisted, but think they have different part nos. Is it just internals, are they interchangeable?
Or have any of you a set or a single Staunton you would sell. Must be in good condition, I could rechrome the one I have but due to brexit have already lost the unobtainium side covers for the airbox. Couldn’t cope with losing a set of forks.

Al
Hardcore
Hardcore

Re: Z1000r v j forks

#2 PostAuthor: Al » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:26 pm

There were some airbox side covers on here recently. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=51079

I had a set of forks in the J (original ones to the bike) one of which was bent. I bought another set from here thinking they would be the same. Essentially they were, but later discovered that they were 10mm longer and that the rebate in the bottom that carries the bottom bushes was also different to what i had and standard bushes would not fit. I have bought two sets of bottom bushes from ZPower and they order them by the part number not by the bike model so i dont know what they are off but they are Teflon coated unlike the standard J ones.
Perhaps these forks are a different market and been imported, dont know. Didnt get any history with them. The bleed holes for oil transfer at the bottom were also in a slightly different place. Tarozzi legs say 644mm in the catalogue and i did find the longer ones in there at one point but again, it was ambiguous what they were from as the model and year did not tally correctly so i am none the wiser.
There are sets of good J model ones available on ebay from; John Browse in Wrexham, Two Wheel Spares and many in Germany from Globalmotorparts and so forth. £150 gets a full set of top and bottom legs so if the chrome is good, no reason not to.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... s&_sacat=0
What length are the inner tubes you have?
The ones i have are not Custom, Ltd or CSR as those are about 100mm longer than the standard J ones.
AL

P.S. might be worth mentioning at this point that there are differences in the casting of the bottom legs. They changed the size of the front discs and later bottom legs have the caliper mounting holes canted out at the bottom to rotate the caliper upward to take account of this. 'Early' J legs have the two caliper mount holes parallel to the fork leg centreline!!!
1981 J1

Skid Mark
100Club
100Club

Re: Z1000r v j forks

#3 PostAuthor: Skid Mark » Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:01 pm

Thanks again Al.
I’m not sure the length of the forks, I will measure when I get a chance but I need to get the 1100 sorted first. I have been told that the r forks are shorter than the J. And the calliper mounts are different. This seems to line up with what you recon. Also from memory, there appeared to be Teflon or similar coat on the bushes on my forks when I stripped them. I will try some of the links you shared also. £150 would be small money to get this sorted. I don’t know how I missed those side panels, but when I do eventually get another set indeed a better plan to get them black chromed. I will be inconsolable if they go the way of the last set.

Return to “Bike Help”