Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

backfiring

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

Gray17
100Club
100Club

Re: backfiring

#16 PostAuthor: Gray17 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:32 am

Hi Nigel what do you suggest think ones you sent in kit have 17.5 pilots in at mo, poster said 1 or 2 sizes up?

Ultim8pc
Hardcore
Hardcore

#17 PostAuthor: Ultim8pc » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:23 pm

Gray17 wrote:Hi Nigel what do you suggest think ones you sent in kit have 17.5 pilots in at mo, poster said 1 or 2 sizes up?

You have the correct pilots for your carbs.
But if you want to go bigger then next up is 20.
I have stock:
https://airevalleyclassics.co.uk/mikuni-pilot-jet-size-15-to-22.5.html
http://www.airevalleyclassics.co.uk
10% discount code Z1OCTEN
Keyster rebuild kits & carburettor spares - airscrews, jets, needles, starter plungers & gaskets.
Also petrol/ethanol proof float bowl gaskets. IMD pistons preferred seller.

Gray17
100Club
100Club

#18 PostAuthor: Gray17 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:25 am

Thanks for reply, was awaiting original posters reply as to what sizes he used and how the bike now runs, as you know I've had plenty of issues with mine and despite spending a fortune on it still doesnt run correctly. I have no idea if the larger pilots will work or whether i need 20s or 22.5s, this is a problem its guess work, hence hoping he had gone tbrough that process of trying the 20, 22.5 etc and what if any effect that had on the running. He stated that it ran fine on old fuel assume meaning leaded, now with this E10 or E5 it doesnt.
I have no problem buying the jets if that will solve the problem but not really convinced it will. I may try backing the airscrews to 2 or 2.5 turns out see of that improves matters, but appreciate it will only allow as much fuel as the jet size restricts.
Thanks

Ultim8pc
Hardcore
Hardcore

#19 PostAuthor: Ultim8pc » Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:43 am

Gray17 wrote:Thanks for reply, was awaiting original posters reply as to what sizes he used and how the bike now runs, as you know I've had plenty of issues with mine and despite spending a fortune on it still doesnt run correctly. I have no idea if the larger pilots will work or whether i need 20s or 22.5s, this is a problem its guess work, hence hoping he had gone tbrough that process of trying the 20, 22.5 etc and what if any effect that had on the running. He stated that it ran fine on old fuel assume meaning leaded, now with this E10 or E5 it doesnt.
I have no problem buying the jets if that will solve the problem but not really convinced it will. I may try backing the airscrews to 2 or 2.5 turns out see of that improves matters, but appreciate it will only allow as much fuel as the jet size restricts.
Thanks

Does it run better at low revs with the choke slightly on? If so then it's a lean condition you are seeing. So upping the pilots may work even if it doesn't make sense.
http://www.airevalleyclassics.co.uk
10% discount code Z1OCTEN
Keyster rebuild kits & carburettor spares - airscrews, jets, needles, starter plungers & gaskets.
Also petrol/ethanol proof float bowl gaskets. IMD pistons preferred seller.

gray
100Club
100Club

#20 PostAuthor: gray » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:02 am

check the springs on the autoadvancer aren't weak - if they are, so the engine is running on full advance even at low revs, this will cause low speed hesitancy and good high speed running.
With a strobe , check the timing at idling speed, then open the throttle slowly while watching the marks. By 2300-2500 revs on a z900 ( about 3000 on a Z1etc) timing should coincide with the "full advance " mark.
If you are getting full advance much earlier, then the springs are U/S. But they're cheap from Z power
gray

Return to “Bike Help”