Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

GPz 1100 A1 Unitrack won't start

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

Stugill
100Club
100Club

GPz 1100 A1 Unitrack won't start

#1 PostAuthor: Stugill » Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:23 pm

Good afternoon.

I've not had the bike for long and all was good until yesterday when I managed to take it for it's first spin.

It started fine and ran well however after about 5 miles the DFi warning signal flashed at me and so I headed home.
When I got home I switched the engine off and it won't start, the engine won't even crank over.

I looked at the green light on the DFi box and the DFi trouble code was number 23, which is... perform "engine speed signal test" (base manual p10-30), and inspect ignition system damage.

Engine speed signal test diagram.jpg

I did the Engine speed signal test first thing and it was 0v when ignition was off and 12.78v with ignition on. I decided to do it again later and it was 0v with the ignition off however it was only 0.9v with the ignition on.
Any clues what this means and what to do next to try to rectify it?

When I try to start it the petrol pump sounds and the starter relay clicks once on each attempt to start, I've also completed the Starter relay test. This was as per the manual so I reckon that's ok, also if I unplug the kill switch there is no click on the starter relay so I think this is ok.

I've had a good chat with the previous owner Simon (Simonic = great chap) who mentioned that the starter motor was a bit lazy.
The fuses are all ok.
The wires/connectors to the coils look fine as well.
The battery is a Banner 20 Etx and was new the end of Jan 2024, is on a Oxford optimiser thingy.

Cheers

Stu

Starter relay test 1.jpg
Starter relay test 2.jpg

zed9
Regular Poster

Re: GPz 1100 A1 Unitrack won't start

#2 PostAuthor: zed9 » Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:36 pm

Check voltage with meter on starter relay terminal that goes to starter motor when you press start it should show around 12v if its not turning starter. If voltage goes down to very low volts starter may be stuck. Also do same test at starter motor terminal, if you get around 12v then starter is duff. As previous owner said it was lazy brushes could be worn or commutator glazed or dirty

Stugill
100Club
100Club

#3 PostAuthor: Stugill » Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:26 pm

Zed9.

Cheers.

I'll give that a go, earlier on today I connected the starter motor up direct from the battery and it didn't work. I plan to remove it tomorrow and I'll test it properly and give it a clean.

Stu

rpeters
Bristol's "H" Hoarder

#4 PostAuthor: rpeters » Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:33 am

...should have bought mine Stu :D
paid up member

Stugill
100Club
100Club

#5 PostAuthor: Stugill » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:14 pm

Good afternoon all.

An update, with a request for more info/knowledge please.

I sourced (shout out to the top people at Z Power) a replacement starter motor and I eventually managed to install it, I had to remove the stator cover to do it and after I got it all back together I thought happy days.

It started first press of the button, but rough, revs up and down and would stall after a while.

i wondered whether I had been a fool and accidentally altered the timing (you have to remove the camchain tensioner cap to do the starter). I put on my strobe light and the timing was out, my strobe has a dwell angle thingy and I reckon it might be 4°out.
So I wanted to try to adjust the timing, which is normally easy but i'm well in the learning stage with the GPz 1100.

I can remove the 12mm bolt and the advancer pulls away from the pin behind, this leaves the 17mm rotation nut on the advancer itself.

I would assume that I have to remove the 17mm rotation nut so I can move/rotate the timing plate? If it is a yes, how do I do it?

Cheers

Stu
Attachments
3 Timing advancer with rotation nut.jpg
2 Timing advancer in situ.jpg

Return to “Bike Help”