Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

RE-SHIMMING AFTER HEAD RE-FURB

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#16 PostAuthor: Pigford » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:26 pm

No........... not needed according to the manuals... :|

If the bolts did loosen, they couldn't come out, coz the cam cover would stop 'em falling out & causing any damage :wink:
And on the 7th day... Zeds were created!

bigmac103
100Club
100Club

Thread lock

#17 PostAuthor: bigmac103 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:31 pm

Ta.
Lost in the desert somewhere

willjanuk
Regular Poster

Thread Lock

#18 PostAuthor: willjanuk » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:35 pm

You will need thread lock on the four bolts on the tower between the camshafts, if they come loose you will have a major breakdown.

Will.

DogsbolloxofZ1B
Hardcore
Hardcore

#19 PostAuthor: DogsbolloxofZ1B » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:47 pm

I always set the head up on the bench first prior to fitting particularly following any valve/valve seat work. I aim to get the valve clearances in the mid range so once, as your doing, I establish the gap with thinnest shim I then remove valve gear and have SERDI UK take a thou or two of the stem.

One of the other things to look out for is.. Make damm sure the collets are touching the back of the shim bucket, this has happened to a friends bike where someone ground far too much of the valve stem so none of it was protruding.

Mike

rickman CRR
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#20 PostAuthor: rickman CRR » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:33 pm

"One of the other things to look out for is.. Make damm sure the collets are NOT touching the back of the shim bucket, this has happened to a friends bike where someone ground far too much of the valve stem so none of it was protruding".

Rich
Hardcore
Hardcore

#21 PostAuthor: Rich » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:23 pm

For KZ1000 A1 - 4, from top of collet groove to tip 4.2mm, do not grind more than 0.3mm off. Get them ground square to the stem as well or you'll be wondering why the clearance is altering!
Rich
diplomacy is a form of art - I was never any good at art

DogsbolloxofZ1B
Hardcore
Hardcore

#22 PostAuthor: DogsbolloxofZ1B » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:34 pm

OK... Its been a long week! Make sure the collets DO NOT touch the shim bucket.. :D

PAULJAC47
Hardcore
Hardcore

#23 PostAuthor: PAULJAC47 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:14 pm

Bugger... Checked clearances today with 180 shim Pigford has kindly lent to me
can only get 3 thou clearance even with this, looking like having some lopped off ends of valve stems to try and get back within tolerance.....
PAULJAC47,,,,,"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid."
-Han Solo

You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter

Salad is what real food eats.
Anon

PUM 673

bigmac103
100Club
100Club

Clearance

#24 PostAuthor: bigmac103 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:43 pm

Hi Pauljac47,

Your tip about tie wrapping a 17mmm spanner to the break pedal worked really well so thanks for that. You have got me worried now, I've ordered a 2.00 shim because I haven't got any clearance to check!!! Did you cut in new valve seats?

Bigmac

PAULJAC47
Hardcore
Hardcore

#25 PostAuthor: PAULJAC47 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:51 pm

Hi Mate, Seems they did cut new profiles for valve seats thats were i have lost my clearances seems i may have to get .3 mm lopped off each stem.if that fails its new seat inserts on head Bugger..........
PAULJAC47,,,,,"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid."

-Han Solo

Anon

PUM 673

bigmac103
100Club
100Club

Clearance

#26 PostAuthor: bigmac103 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:11 pm

It's a shame that you can't take the shim out and measure the gap that way so as to get some Idea! Good luck

debben1
100Club
100Club

#27 PostAuthor: debben1 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:55 pm

Hello Pauljac, shortening the valve should sort this, if not then oversize valves would be far more economical than replacing the valve seats. check the installed spring height/seat pressure too as the further in the valve sits the higher the spring retainer and so less pressure on the spring. shims are avalable for the valve springs. Steve

PAULJAC47
Hardcore
Hardcore

#28 PostAuthor: PAULJAC47 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:45 am

Thanks for that debben1,i have been told the max you can take off a valve stem is .3mm or 12 thou is that correct.When i have done that how would you go about checking installed valve spring height?.Would you be able to provide oversize valves if not succesful with this?.I have worked out i will need to use a 210 or 205 shim to get 3 thou clearance on cams Would this be ok or is it getting too close?Lastly do you do a service that would get this head back to something like?if so please let me know via a pm.Many Thanks for your help on this PAULJAC.....

-Han Solo

Anon

PUM 673

Return to “Bike Help”