Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

what size front spokes for Z1A

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

floydsz1
Hardcore
Hardcore

what size front spokes for Z1A

#1 PostAuthor: floydsz1 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:17 pm

just been trying to order some stainless spokes for the front of my z1a from hagon, they want to know are they butted and what is the size off the nipples (dia). they are standard so can anyone help.
Me mate who will rebuild it for me is away for the next few days so i cant ask him and i want to get them ordered so they are here when he gets back.
can rebuild engines but spokes are a bit confusing to me. :??
ta very much.
peter

hillbilly
Hardcore
Hardcore

#2 PostAuthor: hillbilly » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:27 pm

i have a wheel here ,the spokes are 3mm thick ,the part that goes to centre of hub (nipple)is 7mm,hope this gives you some idea of what you want.ps is dave back from oz yet. :P
push me shuv you.sez who sez me.
owing p.u.m. (76 z1b)(v reg z1r)

floydsz1
Hardcore
Hardcore

#3 PostAuthor: floydsz1 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:39 pm

Hi Hillbilly, Thanks for that, ill ring em back and see what they say.
dont suppose you heard about dave then, he got back a couple of weeks ago from philip island, His P and M kawasaki that he races started knocking in fri practice (mains/bigends) so he used someone elses P and M. was going ok till the last race on sun when he highsided it and broke his arm in 2 places, bone sticking through his leathers, Had 5 hr op in melbourne hospital to plate it together. Home ok now but all in plaster, He's feelling a bit grumpy with himself at the moment as he was supposed to be going to spain testing with padgetts in next couple of weeks (hes John mac's mechanic) . Im off to see him on tues, (big useless sod)
cheers.

hillbilly
Hardcore
Hardcore

#4 PostAuthor: hillbilly » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:23 pm

sorry to hear that,hope dave makes a full recovery,high price to pay for a week or two in sun , :( let us know how things go your end. :P
push me shuv you.sez who sez me.

owing p.u.m. (76 z1b)(v reg z1r)

Hobbo
International Rep

spokes

#5 PostAuthor: Hobbo » Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:27 pm

FLOYDZ

Hi just ring wyldes of leeds ask for 1974 z900 stainless double butted and they will send you some think cheaper than hagon as well

phil

PS WELL THATS WHAT I DID
Never Dull in Hull Watch no 31

International Rep

phil churchett
Hardcore
Hardcore

#6 PostAuthor: phil churchett » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:25 pm

I would have presumed Hagons would know the type and size of spokes/nipples used. Or am i presuming too much :?:
Four pipes rule, anything else is second best.

floydsz1
Hardcore
Hardcore

#7 PostAuthor: floydsz1 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:04 pm

Thats what i thought phil but it was one of the guys who builds em that i was talking to. Wanted to know the nipple size etc. ill sort it though. Might do like hobbo says and ring wyldes instead.

toycollector10
100Club
100Club

#8 PostAuthor: toycollector10 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:43 am

What I'm doing is using the original spokes and nipples. A brass brush then various grades of wet and dry to smooth the finish. Off to the cleaners then to the platers and Bob's 'yer uncle. Nice Bright Yellow Zinc for the nipples. It's going to look great!

floydsz1
Hardcore
Hardcore

#9 PostAuthor: floydsz1 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:50 am

Nice one Toy.
you must have more patience than me though, im just getting new ones and me mates putting them in for me, (much easier) .

Hope the bikes coming along ok after your problems when you first got it. good to see you using as many original bits as possible

toycollector10
100Club
100Club

#10 PostAuthor: toycollector10 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:59 am

hi floydz1...I was on a run with some classic Jap guys on Sunday. One of the guys had a restored two stroke and the bolts just didn't look right, and his spokes definitely weren't right and the whole project, although bright and shiney, wasn't right.

So I'm one of those snobby pricks with the part numbers tattoo'd under my eyelids.

When I went to my spoke and wheel rebuilder he could only offer 8 guage spokes without the double butting. It's not good enough for me, mate.

So I'm just taking off the bolts and fasteners etc and getting them re-plated but the instruction to the plater is "not too bright and shiny, the bike's 35 years old and it shouldn't look like it's just come off a production line"

I hope that makes sense....???

floydsz1
Hardcore
Hardcore

#11 PostAuthor: floydsz1 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:52 pm

Hi Toy,
I know what you mean, Ive rebuilt mine with new bodywork, wiring, indicators and a few nuts and bolts, the frame ,swingarm,yokes etc have been powdercoated but the rest ive just cleaned up. Fully rebuilt the engine internals but just cleaned up the casings etc. I wanted one that looks clean and tidy but not too clean that i would be afraid to use it, I cant be bothered cleaning/polishing things all the time.

Return to “Bike Help”