Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Z900 - A4, Z1 or Z1B

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

delboy!1

Z900 - A4, Z1 or Z1B

#1 PostAuthor: delboy!1 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:55 pm

Hi gang,

I just bought a 1976 Z900 and I'm trying to trace its origins, original colour and whether it is an A4, Z1, etc, so that I can restore it close to original spec. It was imported & uk registered in 1994 and the VIN Frame no is Z1F512653. Is there a website out there which can give me its 'birth certificate'?
I am also looking for an original 4-4 exhaust in good nick and sensible price. Any advice welcome. Cheers, Delboy.

phil churchett
Hardcore
Hardcore

#2 PostAuthor: phil churchett » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:13 pm

Hi delboy,
welcome to the site.
You do indeed have a Z900A4. I couldn't begin to list the differences between the Z1 and A4, they are too numerous. For some pics of how your bike looked originally, take a look at Z Powers website, available through the links section.
Secondhand 4-4 ex systems don't come along all that often, although it is worth looking on e-bay. Ideally, go to look at them before making a bid!
Before making a decision on restoration, do some digging around and get some idea of prices. Some can be shocking! [as some of the other members will testify].
If you need any more help, please post again.
Four pipes rule, anything else is second best.

delboy!1

#3 PostAuthor: delboy!1 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:22 pm

Hey Phil,

Thanks for the response! If you don't mind revealing, how could you tell it's an Z900A4? Yes, I've looked at the Z-Power website, very helpful for the Z development history. It has got to be the original Diamond Dark Green for this project (it's currently a non-standard Red paint job, ok but a few scratches here & there). The bike's currently fitted with a rusty 4-1 and I would love to get it back to a 4-4 spec but new/repro ones are going for silly money. Anyone out there with one stashed away looking for a good home...? Cheers, Delboy

phil churchett
Hardcore
Hardcore

#4 PostAuthor: phil churchett » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:28 pm

I have books, etc.. with the listings of model identification.
If you want to pm me your address, i can send you some info which will give you specs for the A4.
Four pipes rule, anything else is second best.

Hack
100Club
100Club

#5 PostAuthor: Hack » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:27 pm

Hi Delboy,

If you are doing a resto then a parts book is a useful investment.

Zpower do one for ?9.99 and it lists the correct part number for every component of your bike.
(enter 99922Z1 into the Quickfind search box on their website)

They usually have these on a rolling auction on ebay as well, which can work out cheaper, I think I got mine for a fiver.
Try searching for items from seller Zpowerdave.

Andy

delboy!1

#6 PostAuthor: delboy!1 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:47 pm

Cheers Andy.
Z-Power is already on my Favourite Sellers list, thanks. God bless Dave & his crew!
Delboy

z1apaul

#7 PostAuthor: z1apaul » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:00 pm

ive got an origonal 4/4set of pipes if youre interested drop me a mail

Jeff Saunders
100Club
100Club

#8 PostAuthor: Jeff Saunders » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:19 am

THe bike was imported from the USA - the frame number is one that was assembled in Lincoln Nebraska.
73 Z1 (turbocharged), a 74 Z1A, and some h***a's and Suzuki's...
www.z1enterprises.com jeff@z1enterprises.com

rogerstansfield
Regular Poster

#9 PostAuthor: rogerstansfield » Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:14 pm

i think you have to decide if this is the bike that you are going to keep indefinitely before you start restoration, because to get it to look right you will spend a packet. if however, this is the one, then put the right things on the bike. a new set of pipes wil be a grand, but if the bike is restored right, over time, this value will be added, and if you fit new, you will know that looked after, you will get maximum wear out of them

DogsbolloxofZ1B
Hardcore
Hardcore

#10 PostAuthor: DogsbolloxofZ1B » Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:08 pm

Therefor a KZ900....It will never be a Z900... LOL :D :D

greenZ
Regular Poster

#11 PostAuthor: greenZ » Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:51 pm

totally agree with you Dogsbollox,
Mines a kz900 and wouldnt want to change it :lol:

Return to “Bike Help”