Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Are all speedos the same on z1,a,b,a4?

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: chrisu, paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R

PAULJAC47
Hardcore
Hardcore

Are all speedos the same on z1,a,b,a4?

#1 PostAuthor: PAULJAC47 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:19 pm

Hi all following on from my post" optimistic speedo" are all speedo the same on z1,a,b ?? i notice on z power parts book they have diff parts numbers.my z1b speedo looks the same as on my a4 160 mph with intermittent small and large number increments.i am guessing the ratio may be different on some speedo.s does anyone know if this is true.The drive is different shape on the a4 to the B but i cant find any info on ratios?.Lookig for clus why my B reads 17 mph high.Any input welcome on this.Cheers Paul J.....
PAULJAC47,,,,,"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid."
-Han Solo

You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter

Salad is what real food eats.
Anon

PUM 673

mick znone
Hardcore
Hardcore

#2 PostAuthor: mick znone » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:56 pm

im not sure on this, but i dont think you can put a mph face on a kph clock, perhaps someone has done that?? not sure if you can connect a mph clock to a kph drive either????
I DONT CARE, IN OR OUT BUT IM ENJOYING THE DEBATE......................ARMSTRONG MT500. a pushbike, waves.....addict, no offence

AL MARSHALL
100Club
100Club

speedo

#3 PostAuthor: AL MARSHALL » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:17 pm

hi paul,just a thought,i have a kph to mph adapter that just screws in between the speedo and the cable.this converts a kph clock to reading mph.you are welcome to try and see if that corrects your readings.if it does then you most likely have a dressed up kph speedo.if not you can go to plan B. regs al
trouble.......seek and ye shall find
www.z-clocks.co.uk

Garn 1
ZedHead
ZedHead

#4 PostAuthor: Garn 1 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:11 pm

As I understand, all Nippon Denser speedo's for Z1 thru to, at least Z1000 A2, are the same ratio at the speedo and at the front wheel. They can be interchanged.

The Mph into Kph conversion and slightly different ranges, is done internally on the hairspring or magnetic drag disk of the instrument. Hence, different face plates can be fitted. I believe, if carefully done, an instrument in Kph could be coverted to a Mph without any adjustments, by simply changing the face. (Provided they represent an equal full scale deflection speed)

There is a difference in the front wheel speedo cable connections, however, as stated the ratios remain the same.

I'm not sure how the Z900 Ltd handles the smaller front wheel. May be an exception?
RegardZ.
Garn (Sydney) Z1, Z1A, Z1B and Z900-A4

tlc
Hardcore
Hardcore

#5 PostAuthor: tlc » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:16 pm

My old Kettle gauges had the revolutons on the clock face.

When I changed the wheel diameter on my LC I just used a speedo drive from a different bike after calculating rolling circumferance.

I suspect you could do the same with a different drive assembly as I`m sure the speedo gearing itself is the same across all the Kawasaki bikes.
Asphalt Cowboy Z1100R, 1981 Z1000J

PAULJAC47
Hardcore
Hardcore

#6 PostAuthor: PAULJAC47 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:25 pm

Hi All thanks for trying to help good idea about it being dressed up KPH unit but i just did a conversion and 70 kph is 43.5 mph at an indicated 70 mph on my speedo i know i was doing 53 mph???
PAULJAC47,,,,,"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid."

-Han Solo

You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter

Salad is what real food eats.

Anon

PUM 673

mick znone
Hardcore
Hardcore

#7 PostAuthor: mick znone » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:22 am

but one point=from what i understand, these clocks were never that accurate as new. :idea: :idea: separate point=when im doing 60mph, both of my needles make up their own minds, minute by minute, but they are nearly as old as me and nearly as knackered :cry:
I DONT CARE, IN OR OUT BUT IM ENJOYING THE DEBATE......................ARMSTRONG MT500. a pushbike, waves.....addict, no offence

Return to “Bike Help”