Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Special tool ?

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

sparky650

Special tool ?

#1 PostAuthor: sparky650 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:43 pm

Hi all , a friend of mine is in the process of fitting new fork seals for me on the 650 but has come to a hault . There is a star shaped socket inside the fork tube that needs to be held from spinning to undo the allen bolt in the bottom of the fork leg/s . Every thing has been tried, the old broom stick down the tube and even a shaped piece of metal but we cant move it ? Any ideas what else we can use or will we have to go to kwak and borrow the special tool to fit ??

Cheers :wink:

Pigford
I'm on prescription!!

#2 PostAuthor: Pigford » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:45 pm

Last ditch effort before the 'correct K' tool would be a rattle gun..... :wink: like they use on wheel nuts in the garage :!:
And on the 7th day... Zeds were created!

sparky650

#3 PostAuthor: sparky650 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:52 pm

Cheers pigford, we dont have access to one of those so i think ill have to take the forks into the work and see if they can rattle it loose :roll:
Other than that im hoping kwak will do it for me or at least lend me the special tool to undo them :wink:

Pasc
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#4 PostAuthor: Pasc » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:03 pm

Sparky, I have a feeling that a certain size hex had bolt fits into that star shaped socket although I can't remember what size. If so just weld a long T handle onto the end of the correct bolt and Bobs yer weird uncle you were never left alone with.

Al
Hardcore
Hardcore

#5 PostAuthor: Al » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:59 pm

I used the tube nut from the mirror stem to handlebar lever, selotaped into a shallow socket, on an extension on an extension on an extension, and turned the Allen bolt rather than the nut whilst holding the bottom leg firm, if this makes sense.

AL

mick znone
Hardcore
Hardcore

#6 PostAuthor: mick znone » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:59 pm

Bobs yer weird uncle, never left alone[ are you sure now Pasc, really sure, if you need to talk, ive been through a lot of therapy, im always there if you need to talk mate :ek
I DONT CARE, IN OR OUT BUT IM ENJOYING THE DEBATE......................ARMSTRONG MT500. a pushbike, waves.....addict, no offence

Pasc
Custard Cream
Custard Cream

#7 PostAuthor: Pasc » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:23 pm

Nice bit of improv that sounds like it worked Al.
Cheers for the offer Mick but blind leading the blind springs to mind. :ed

sparky650

#8 PostAuthor: sparky650 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:57 am

Cheers folks...ive given in and let mr kwak have them to snap the bolt for me :roll: Kinda one of them jobs where you need that special tool once in a few yrs but never own :wink:

PAULJAC47
Hardcore
Hardcore

#9 PostAuthor: PAULJAC47 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:03 pm

use a brush stale cut at one end to 60 deg angle use to jam dowm inside leg to wedge nut this had worked for me give it a go Cheers Pauljac...
PAULJAC47,,,,,"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid."
-Han Solo

You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter

Salad is what real food eats.
Anon

PUM 673

london calling
Hardcore
Hardcore

#10 PostAuthor: london calling » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:07 pm

1/2" impact gun :wink:
Jack

sparky650

#11 PostAuthor: sparky650 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:29 pm

Cheers folks , that will be one or two things to remember the next time but i had to get the thing apart as a mate of mine is doing the work for me and wanted the froks back soon as poss. So i took them to the kawasaki shop and they were undone in a jiffy with the special tool . Mind you they were tight though , even with the special tool he was struggling a bit :shock:

Return to “Bike Help”