Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Engine finish & smoking.

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

maxico

Engine finish & smoking.

#1 PostAuthor: maxico » Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:29 am

Just returned to the zed fold after 10 years in the wilderness.
Last bike (Z1B) had natural engine finish, this bike Z900-A4 has silver painted finish. Is the correct or should in be natural alloy.
Also bike has not been used properly for a couple of years and smokes like a trooper. Having read about other peoples smoking engines, could a good run sort mine out do you think?

london calling
Hardcore
Hardcore

#2 PostAuthor: london calling » Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:23 am

I'd remove the sump and clean the oil strainer gauze or even fit a new one,then remove the plugs and spray some Duck Oil into the bores which hopefully will free up the rings a little??
Obviously check that the engine breather is clear,then fit a new oil filter and some fresh oil,plugs,etc and get out for a good long run on it and see what happens.
Jack

Garn 1
ZedHead
ZedHead

#3 PostAuthor: Garn 1 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:31 am

Maxico, the Z1B and the Z900 A4 had a similar finish. If the Z900 has a distinctly better finish it could have been aqua-blasted which is similar to the "Smelthust" finish which is carried out in UK. I don't think anyone would spray it silver and expect it to have any long life, Unless its a NEW process?
RegardZ.
Garn (Sydney) Z1, Z1A, Z1B and Z900-A4

maxico

#4 PostAuthor: maxico » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:58 pm

london calling wrote:I'd remove the sump and clean the oil strainer gauze or even fit a new one,then remove the plugs and spray some Duck Oil into the bores which hopefully will free up the rings a little??
Obviously check that the engine breather is clear,then fit a new oil filter and some fresh oil,plugs,etc and get out for a good long run on it and see what happens.

Thanks.
I have new filter and plugs at the ready. Read about breather in Haynes manual today. Will also clean strainer as you suggest. Thanks.

maxico

#5 PostAuthor: maxico » Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:06 pm

Garn 1 wrote:Maxico, the Z1B and the Z900 A4 had a similar finish. If the Z900 has a distinctly better finish it could have been aqua-blasted which is similar to the "Smelthust" finish which is carried out in UK. I don't think anyone would spray it silver and expect it to have any long life, Unless its a NEW process?
RegardZ.

Someone has sprayed it Silver. Some of it is chipped, some has bubbled up a bit, and you can scrape it off with a blade.
Am I correct in thinking it should not be on the barrels and engine casings and that I should get it cleaned off?

Davy Doherty

#6 PostAuthor: Davy Doherty » Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:21 pm

Yes you are correct, It should be plain alloy no paint anywhere good luck with removing it

Return to “Bike Help”