Hello Guest User,

Please feel free to have a look around the forum but be aware that as an unregistered guest you can't see all of it and you can't post.

To access these 'Registered Users Only' areas simply register and login.

Welding shocks

Need help restoring, building, or finding then try here.

Moderators: paul doran, Taffus, KeithZ1R, chrisu

BShaw
Area Rep.
Area Rep.

Welding shocks

#1 PostAuthor: BShaw » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:35 am

Here's one for the welders on here, would it be a problem to weld a bottom connection back on to a shock while it is still full of oil and in one piece.

Mig weld that is.

Baza
Baza

I had the day off from school when we did inglish.

tlc
Hardcore
Hardcore

#2 PostAuthor: tlc » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:59 am

Bazza.

Having welded several hydraulic rams over the years I can tell you it certainly is possible.

You must ensure that no oil can get onto your welding point otherwise the heat will cause it to oxidise and make for an incomplete weld. If you are only welding up the bottom shock mount for example then this would be no problem unless you burst through into the oil chamber.

Once you are welding then you will get heat transfer through to the rest of the shock assembly. Obviously you need some in the area you are welding but not where you are not. Seals will be at the bottom of the piston so on an extended shock they will be at their furthest point from your weld. So too will the wiper seal at the top of the shock body.

Heat here will damage the seals so this must be avoided as much as possible.

Can I suggest that you encase the body in ice just a little bit away from where you need to weld and then any excess heat will be dissipated by that and not transfer so quickly through the rest of the body thereby causing damage.
Asphalt Cowboy Z1100R, 1981 Z1000J

BShaw
Area Rep.
Area Rep.

#3 PostAuthor: BShaw » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:42 pm

Cheers mate, Thats what I thought but wasn't sure and didn't want it to explode on me.
Regards
Baza
Baza

I had the day off from school when we did inglish.

Return to “Bike Help”